Helpful Hints: Breastfeeding in Black America
- Fact: African American women's breastfeeding initiation rate is only 55% compared with 75% of white women and 80% of Hispanics.
- Tip: The Black Women's Guide to Breastfeeding: The Definitive Guide to Nursing for African American Mothers by Katherine Barber is a great book to read if you are considering breastfeeding. Most local libraries carry a copy.
- Benefit: African American women and children can decrease their risk of diabetes, obesity, and other chronic diseases by breastfeeding.
- Risk: African American women are 2.2 times more likely to die from breast cancer than white women and 30 percent more likely to die from ovarian cancer than white women. Diseases directly affected by exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months.
- Myth: Breastfeeding is disgusting, breastfeeding hurts, breastfeeding makes your breast sag, and breastfeeding means I'll never be free.
- Breastfeeding Resource: Black Mother's Breastfeeding Association (BMBFA) www.blackmothersbreastfeeding.org