We have a new participant in the Relevancy Poll. Sure, it's more work for me, but we're glad to have you, Kate McKinnon. And you know what? For her first show, she did pretty well. But she didn't quite rule the week. That honor goes to...
1. Kristen Wiig (Last Week: 3) We may all hate Gilly (and when I say "we," I mean "I"), but that little tidbit won't prevent Wiig from her reign of dominance. And I do hope that she brings back "Two A-Holes" before she leaves the show.
2. Jason Sudeikis. (Last Week: 9) Along with "Two A-Holes," I refuse to believe that we've seen the last of Sudeikis dancing around in his red track suit in "What's Up With That?"
3. Taran Killam (Last Week: 1) Killam brought out his best Paul Lynde impression to portray Andy Cohen. I have to admit, now I just want to see Killam portray Paul Lynde.
4. Abby Elliott (Last Week: 12) Hey, Zooey Deschanel and Katnis Everdeen in the same show. A nice bounce back after a few tough weeks.
5. Fred Armisen (Last Week: 6) Remember Frondi? Whatever happened to Frondi? Did he say his peace about "Gigli" and fulfill all of his life ambitions? I wonder what Frondi thought of "The Town."
6. Kate McKinnon (Last Week: NA) Not a bad start for what is essentially a no-lose situation. I mean, nobody would expect McKinnon to integrate herself into the cast with only five episodes to go in the season. Appearing in the top half of the poll probably won't last (at least, until next season), but regardless, a nice start.
7. Bobby Moynihan: (Last Week: 10) Boy, drunk uncle had a lot to say this week.
8. Bill Hader (Last Week: 2) Good on him for not eating that pizza. Best case: indigestion. Regardless, it is nice to know that with all the changes coming, we still have Hader for at least one more season.
10. Andy Samberg (Last Week: 4) It's kind of odd to see Samberg star in a pre-taped spot that isn't considered a Digital Short. Honest question: What are the odds that we see one more memorable, just as good as they used to be, Digital Short before the end of this season?
10. Kenan Thompson (Last Week: 11) Kenan Thompson is slowly becoming the Tim Meadows of a new generation. The cast member who has been around forever, but it doesn't quite feel like it. At this point, I can only assume that, like Meadows, Kenan signed a 30-year contract. That's such a long time and he realizes that now.
11. Vanessa Bayer (Last Week: 5) Ah yes, it was already tough for the female cast members not named Kristen Wiig to get quality air time. Add one more and, well, we have Bayer and Pedrad down here near the bottom.
12. Nasim Pedrad (Last Week: 13) See above.
13. Seth Meyers (Last Week: 7) Meyers deserves a lot of credit for what he's done as head writer. But, as of late, "Weekend Update" has been a real problem. Actually, this season, there've only been three or fours shows that I'd say that "Update" was "great." Something needs to change.
14. Jay Pharoah (Last Week: 8) Pharoah's appearance in "Hunger Games Reporter" pretty much sums up his season. I mean, he's there. I can see him, but there's just no purpose. I want there to be a purpose! Or, if not, at least bring back "The Jay Pharoah Show."
You can contact Mike Ryan directly on Twitter.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more