I am excited to go back to school.
Wait... What was that? Did I just say "excited" for school? Yes, actually. I did. Mind-boggling, isn't it?
Now before you ask me if I am crazy or a nerd or any other term you choose, hear me out. It is not that I am ready to stay up late studying for tests, writing papers and solving calculus problems. And no, I don't want to miss out on the beautiful Los Angeles summer weather that will probably make me daydream about going to the beach every day when I am sitting in Spanish class.
I do think, though, that this year is actually going to be the best yet -- well, at least for us seniors!
If you don't agree with me, allow me to try to convince you:
1) You Are The Leaders Of The School. That is right. You are the oldest, and if you haven't realized by now, the wisest. Now, everyone will look up to you for advice and you will be making more decisions about what happens at school and when.
2) You Choose Your Classes. By now, you have probably realized that taking the scheduled classes that your school requires can become a little redundant, and sometimes even, well... boring. And you probably aren't bored because of the teacher, and you are probably trying extremely hard to pay attention, right? Well, let's at least pretend you are. This year, you will choose which classes you want to be in. You don't like science? Don't take it! Take another history class, maybe one that will follow the 2012 elections this year. You want to try to take another elective? Why not! If you have already filled your requirements to graduate, there is absolutely nothing stopping you (except maybe your parents, or your college guidance counselor).
3) You Will Be Applying To College. Everyone said that this process was going to be a pain. And no, I am NOT arguing that it will be easy. But, you will get to see first-hand what it is like to apply to the school of your dreams, and hopefully receive that envelope in the spring saying, "Congratulations! You have been accepted to..." You will wear that college sweatshirt to school with pride, and you will have a huge smile on your face walking through the halls.
4) You Will Be Going To Prom. Yes, it is your turn to wear the corsage and the beautiful long gowns and suits that you have seen pictures of every year since you can remember. Don't stress, you will find a date. Your grade will make enough money for that amazing venue. And you will have a DJ that plays music that's on replay on KISS FM. The night will continue with an unforgettable after-prom, which I am sure you have all have heard is actually better than the prom itself. Until now, we have waited to be the pretty girls and handsome guys in the pictures we see uploaded on Facebook from pre-prom, and now it is our turn.
5) You Will Cheer And Scream "Class Of 2013." Every year we hear the obnoxious seniors screaming their graduating year as if they were a team in the Olympics winning the final round. Now, it is acceptable to scream, "20-what? 13!" as many times as you feel necessary throughout this year. You will leave your mark as seniors and you will have a blast doing it.
6) You Will Graduate. It is finally your turn to walk down the aisle in your cap and gown. You will be congratulated for completing four years of homework, tests, quizzes, papers, projects, soccer games, school musicals and little sleep. Get ready to cry because you may not realize it yet, but you will miss high school--and you will start to miss it as soon as they call your name to get your diploma. You will cheer for one last time as seniors, "20 what? 13!"
So seniors, as our last summer of high school comes to a close, get ready for year filled with laughter, tears (of joy), firsts and lasts. Good luck this year, fellow members of the Class of 2013. Make it a year that you will never forget.
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more