Since announcing my next book due out in December of this year with the Perigree Imprint at Penguin Random House, I've gotten a ton of questions from all of you who are interested in writing books about how I landed my dream book deal, what steps I took, who I worked with, and so much more.
My answer to, "How do you land a book deal?" is really multi-faceted and involves a long-haul approach. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this kind of stuff rarely happens overnight. But if you're willing to put in the hours, the rewards are absolutely incredible.
In today's episode of She Takes on the World TV, I'm going to share how I did it and give you the inside scoop on:
- What I did to gain the attention of my dream publisher.
- The surprising foundation for landing your book deal -- it's not glamorous, and it may take months, but it's sooo worth it.
- How to find a great agent through your network.
- And...what the Chicken Soup for the Soul and Harry Potter series have in common...it's probably not what you think!
If you're committed to landing a book deal, you're gonna need a lot of T&R, a.k.a. Tenacity and Resilience.
You WILL get told "No" when pitching agents and publishers. Rejection is part of the process, so developing T&R is key.
Don't give up! It may take awhile to get your book deal, but with determination and moxie, you will see your dream become a reality. I can promise you that.
So, my amazing aspiring authors, this week I want you to write out in detail your goals for your next book:
- Who do you want to publish you?
- Who's your ideal agent?
- How many followers on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram do you want to have at the ready before you approach anyone with your idea?
- Get clear on your goals. Then, start making the steps it takes to reach them.
I know you've got this. Feel free to share your goals and vision in the comments below, and read what others have to say...you never know who you might inspire.