iOS app Android app

House Fire

Puppy Reunites With Firefighters Who Pulled Her From Burning House

The Huffington Post | Hilary Hanson | Posted 01.13.2017 | Good News

A resilient puppy had a joyous reunion this week with firefighters who saved her from a burning house in October. “Hex is happy to be reunited with ...

No Need to Pout: Home Insurance Can Cover That Holiday Disaster

NerdWallet | Posted 11.28.2016 | HuffPost Home

By Alex Glenn Behind their charming facades, our homes hide an inner holiday Grinch. Flickering candles? Fire hazard. Snow-dusted walkway? Think slip...

Inside 'Melrose Place' Star's Home, A Year After It Was Ravaged By 'Horrific' Fire

OWN | Lisa Capretto | Posted 06.02.2016 | OWN

Early last June, "Melrose Place" star Josie Bissett experienced what she describes as a "horrific" event: Her beloved home was completely destroyed in...

Losing Everything

Allison K Hill | Posted 03.09.2016 | Books
Allison K Hill

Someone I love lost everything a few months ago. A middle of the night house fire. A narrow escape. A home in ashes. My brother is making an invent...

When Fire Takes Your Home

Christine Stoddard | Posted 03.01.2016 | HuffPost Home
Christine Stoddard

This piece was originally published by Thought Catalog at Your home was once a place of love. Now it is a place of ashes. A...

How This Mother Found Hope After A House Fire Destroyed Everything

HuffPost Live | Kira Brekke | Posted 04.17.2015 | HuffPost Live 321

Hollye Dexter's entire life was turned upside down when, in the middle of the night, her Los Angeles home was destroyed in a fire caused by "some kind...

Hero Pup Who Was Injured Trying To Save Owner From Fire Settles Into Her New, Loving Home

The Huffington Post | Kimberly Yam | Posted 02.20.2015 | Good News

A dog who put her life on the line in an unsuccessful attempt to save her owner has been welcomed into a new home. Carmen, a 9-year-old boxer in O...

Activist Who Fought Housing Discrimination Is Now Homeless, And The Internet Is Here To Help

The Huffington Post | Robbie Couch | Posted 02.20.2015 | Impact

A woman who fought tirelessly to ensure everyone has equal access to housing now has nowhere to call home. Dorothy "Dottie” Mulkey's house was fi...

Hero Dog Who Tried to Shield Owner From House Fire

Rescue Idiot | Posted 04.13.2015 | GPS for the Soul
Rescue Idiot

A fire broke out in the basement of the home where she lived with her owner, Ben Ledford, in Ohio. Firefighters found Carmen laying on over her owners face, trying to shield him from the smoke and flames.

5 Children Killed In Tragic House Fire Get Kid-Friendly Caskets Thanks To Volunteer

The Huffington Post | Robbie Couch | Posted 12.01.2014 | Impact

Through one extraordinary gesture, an automobile artist is celebrating the lives of five Texas children who died tragically. Trey Ganem, who runs ...

Donations Pour In For Devoted Dog Who Suffered 3rd-Degree Burns Saving Family From Fire

The Huffington Post | Alena Hall | Posted 09.26.2014 | Good News

This is what unquestioning loyalty looks like. The Williams family of East Point, Georgia, was fast asleep Tuesday morning when their home caught f...

Woman Sheds Tears Of Joy As Firefighters Uncover Wedding Rings From Burned Down Home

The Huffington Post | Alena Hall | Posted 09.18.2014 | Good News

A glimmer of hope when all feels lost can often make all the difference. Kathy Besk's home fell victim to one of California's recent wildfires caus...

Man Fights Fire With Miso Soup, Wins

James Cave | Posted 03.25.2014 | Weird News

Miso’s versatile qualities make it great for everything from soups to butterscotch, but this fire extinguisher thing is a new development. On Sat...

Man Re-Enters Burning Home To Save His Xbox

The Huffington Post | Taylor Casti | Posted 01.28.2014 | Technology

An Olathe, Kan., man re-entered his burning home after escaping a house fire early Friday morning. Why? To save one of his most prized possessions: hi...

A Family Christmas Tragedy: Psychological Reflections on One Mother's Road to Recovery

Judy Kuriansky, Ph.D. | Posted 01.23.2014 | Healthy Living
Judy Kuriansky, Ph.D.

At this Christmas time, we can rejoice with ad agency executive Madonna Badger in her recovery from the unspeakably tragic loss of her three young daughters and her parents in the fire that destroyed her Connecticut home two years ago.

David Lohr

Firefighters Charge Family Nearly $20,000 After Home Burns Down | David Lohr | Posted 11.11.2013 | Weird News

An Arizona couple recently left homeless when their mobile home burned to the ground couldn't believe their eyes when they received a bill for nearly ...

One-Armed Man Saves Babies From House Fire, Witnesses Say

| Posted 10.28.2013 | New York

By Trevor Kapp, Trevor Bach and Aidan Gardiner SOUNDVIEW — A one-armed man and his wife tossed a pair of babies from a second-floor balcony into ...

LOOK: Fire Leaves Behind Eerie Reminder

Posted 06.04.2013 | Weddings

After losing her wedding dress in a fire, one woman was left with a single haunting reminder of the gown. Redditor stoax5150 posted a photo on Sund...

Teen Volunteer Firefighter Saves Woman From Burning Home

The Huffington Post | Eleanor Goldberg | Posted 01.07.2013 | Impact

On his first emergency call ever, a 19-year-old volunteer firefighter swooped into a burning home and saved a woman fighting for her life. Adam Heb...

The Walkin' Talkin' Burning Man Blues

Serge Bielanko | Posted 03.06.2013 | Parents
Serge Bielanko

I just stood there, in a split-second of freezing January clarity, watching the inferno giving us the finger as it dangled out of my daughter's bedroom window and did its thing.

'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition': Firefighter Lost Home To Fire

Posted 12.04.2012 | TV

The holiday season of giving continued for "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." This week, the team headed to Heart of the Pines, TX to surprise the Zdro...

Oregon Teen Rescues Boy From House On Fire

The Huffington Post | Craig Kanalley | Posted 09.26.2012 | Teen

A fire broke out on the second story of a family home in Oregon on Monday night, and 8-year-old Cody Ma was trapped in a room upstairs, the Oregonian ...

His Incredible Act Of Bravery (VIDEO)

Posted 08.07.2012 | Teen

Nineteen-year-old Felande Ross from Richmond County, Georgia is being hailed as a local hero for an unbelievable act of bravery he performed yesterday...

What Would YOU Take From Your Burning House?

Posted 07.28.2012 | Books

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), over 15,000 people are injured annually from house fires. Almost 400,000 house fires occu...

Kentucky Family Of 12 Who Lost Everything In House Fire Gets Help

Posted 06.08.2012 | Impact

A Kentucky family of 12 is reeling from having lost everything -- including critical medical equipment -- in a devastating house fire, but is thankful...