The big drought has Californians worried. There are major controversies over Governor Jerry Brown's order to cut water consumption by 25 percent, not to mention some furious to-and-froing on climate change and demands for tax hikes and tax cuts.
Championing what he calls "prudence, not exuberance," Governor Jerry Brown on Tuesday rolled out the annual "May Revise" of his proposed California state budget. How's it playing? Oh, and what's the play?
When people say it's not yet time to fix Proposition 13, it make me think now is the time. They say now is not the time, because powerful interests are still against reform, not because it isn't a good idea.
California's generation-long chronic budget crisis is over, but, while the sun is shining, metaphorically speaking, happy days aren't here again. (To reference the Democratic Party's New Deal theme song.) Not just yet.
Brown's Proposition 30 revenue initiative, which consists of temporary hikes in income taxes for the wealthy and a quarter-cent sales tax for all to stop education cuts and stabilize the long-reeling state budget, is a big win that may point to a path forward for national Democrats.
R. Jeffrey Lustig has compiled (and contributed) to an amazing set of useful essays that examine the many maladies plaguing California's politics and public institutions and provide food for thought that points to possible remedies.
The best job training is a job. Education is part of the answer -- I am all for education. However, education, training and re-training do not cause new jobs to appear, particularly when new investment is heading overseas.
With its constitutionally-mandated spending of 60 percent of the state's General Fund, lawmakers in California fight over the remaining 40 percent using a diminishing set of gimmicks to tout a budget deal.
How could California, the most populous and wealthiest state in the union, be reduced to such pathetic circumstances? It would be wrong to blame Arnold and only Arnold for what's happened. This is a collective failure.