What does a change in location mean when those who are serving for the red, white and blue go to file their state income taxes?
Even though it may seem odd, tax season is actually a perfect time to teach our children about gratitude. Doing so is critical, because our culture does not reinforce it.
Some opponents of the Marketplace Fairness Act are falsely calling the measure a new tax, when the bill only requires that Internet retailers collect sales tax already owed by their customers under current law.
There are so many different theories on what to do with that money. Some people say you should save it or pay off debt, while others will tell you to go out and have fun.
If you're planning to file an extension because you might owe taxes, you should know that an extension only extends the deadline for the forms to be filed. It is not an extension to pay your any taxes you owe.
As the appetite for tax reform grows, perhaps voters should be wary of Democrats' lip service for progressivity when they seem willing and eager to drop the only truly progressive tax in the code.
Taking business deductions creates two problems for the self-employed: Deductions encourage self-employed workers to compete in "a race to the bottom...
As many of us scurry to gather our receipts and recollect the donations we made in 2012, there is a chorus of folks who say that the predicted elimination of the deductibility of charitable donations will result in fewer people giving or people giving less. My response is that it will not.
Rand Paul is doing his best to end what remains of America's progressive tax heritage. Randolph Paul, over a half-century ago, helped make progressive taxes a key to America's middle class golden age. To stop Rand, we need to honor Randolph.
While we wait for our political leaders to stand up to a country that is clearly cheating at trade, American producers suffer from the hidden tax of currency manipulation, our unemployment rate remains frustratingly high, and our trade deficit with China grows a little wider each day.
The IRS has one job, and one job only -- to collect taxes. It measures its success or failure in its ability to collect as much in taxes as possible. To ask the IRS to estimate the tax liability of a taxpayer is akin to asking an alcoholic how much they can have without crossing the line -- the answer will always be "more."
Books, magazines and online articles abound with ideas for bringing older and younger generations together in activities that promote bonding between the ages. But who would have thought that a tax preparation event would do that -- and pay big dividends for those who took part?
The countdown for tax season has officially begun. While many of us are focused on well-known tax breaks, you may be surprised to learn that your debt may be able to save you money on your taxes.
I am officially retired from having a regularly paid job and have been for a number of years. Like most retired people, I live on a fixed income: ret...
The NCAA is reviling us with the commercials emphasizing that most college athletes are going pro in "something else," but what about those who do turn pro? And what will become of them once their playing days are done?
By now you've heard me say that 75 percent of all taxpayers receive a refund (according to public IRS data it's even higher this year), so what happens if you are in the other 25 percent and owe?