It's that time of year for barbecues, beach days and bikinis! With the holiday weekend just around the corner, we look for last minute ways to shape up. This full-proof plan will whittle the waist, strengthen the muscles and boost your metabolism. Each day you will get a new workout with a different focus. Your week will look like this:
Day 1: Upper Body
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Lower Body
Day 4: Cardio
Day 5: Core
Day 6: Yoga
Day 7: Fun Activity
Day 3: Lower Body
How it works: Perform 10 reps of each exercise. Repeat the routine three times.
Equipment Required: Set of 10- to 20-pound dumbbells.
1. Stand in a lunge position with right foot forward and left foot back (front knee directly above ankle). Keep toes facing forward as you deeply bend both knees.
2. Come down to your lowest point with your left knee hovering just above the ground. Keep chest up and core engaged.
3. Extend legs to straight as you come back to the starting position.
Single Leg Deadlift:
1. Place all the weight onto your right foot with dumbbells in front of your hips. Take a slight bend in right knee.
2. Slowly hinge forward at your hips as you kick your left leg straight back, bringing torso close to parallel with the ground. Maintain a straight spine and strong glutes the entire time.
3. Drive hips forward as you come back to standing. Repeat the movement at a controlled pace. Perform 10 reps each side.
1. Bend knees, shift hips back and lower down so thighs come close to parallel with the floor. Swing arms back by your side.
2. Explosively jump off the ground swinging arms up overhead. Land softly with chest up and hips back. Quickly jump back off the ground repeating the movement.
1. Take a small hop toward the right, landing with knee bent.
2. Repeat the steps in the other direction. Once you have got it down, move as quickly as possible.
3. Perform the fast footwork for one minute.
1. Hold one dumbbell in your hands at chest height. Take a wide step out to the right with toes pointed straight ahead. Bend right knee and shift hips way back. Keep left leg extended to straight.
2. Drive off the ball of your foot to come back to center. Continue lunging to the right for 10 reps then repeat the movement to the left side.