Huffington Post Community Code of Conduct
Welcome to the Huffington Post Community - We are dedicated to maintaining a respectful community that actively engages in lively discussions on news stories and blog posts. Part of what makes the Huffington Post Community awesome is that ours is an open platform, meaning everyone can see and engage with everyone else's comments. However, please keep this in mind when writing out your own comments.
Respect Others - Please be polite to all the members of our Community, including other commenters and authors and the subjects of articles. Also, keep in mind that there are real people reading your comments.
Safe Space - Above all, we believe strongly that The Huffington Post Community should be a safe and welcoming space for all individuals, groups and their ideas. As such, we reserve the right to remove any rudeness, insults, hate, hostility, or negativity.
Moderation - In order to help provide a safe space for our community, many comments are pre-moderated by our moderation system and you may see a message that says your comment is pending approval. This system, which includes a team of staff moderators, is in place 24/7. However, there are times when comments may take a little longer to get through the process. Please be patient, we will get to your comment as soon as possible.
Reporting- If you'd like to help us keep the Huffington Post Community an awesome place to participate, you can flag any bad comments you see or report any users who are consistently making negative, threatening comments or harassing others.
Still have questions? Find your answers in our Help Center.
Let's Get Started:
Q: Do I need an account on the Huffington Post?
· A: No, to comment all you need is a Facebook account.
Q: What does it mean to comment to an article through Facebook?
· A: Due to changing trends in public communication, all article comments will be submitted through Facebook going forward. If you do not want your comment to appear on your Facebook wall, simply un-check "post to profile" or "also post to facebook" below the comment box. For more information, you can read about this change here:
Q: I already have a Huffington Post account, what will happen to it?
· A: You are still able to log in to your Huffington Post account to follow other users and bloggers, and you will be able to view your post history for comments made prior to the move to Facebook comments. Comments left through the Facebook platform will not be visible in your post history.
Q: Where can I create an account and login?
· A: There is a login prompt at the top right corner of every page on the site, or visit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/users/login/
Q: I can't remember my username/password! What can I do?
· A: Don't worry! You can retrieve your password by going to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/users/forgot
Q: Where can I change my screen name?
· A: Unfortunately, you cannot change your screen name once you have registered; nor can we. Every screen name is associated with one email address. If you need help with an existing account, please reach out to us.
Q: Where can I change my password, personal information or biography?
· A: Edit information on the preferences page: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/users/preferences
Q: Can I include a link in my comment?
· A: Yes. But any comment that contains a link to an inappropriate site may not be displayed on the Huffington Post site.
Q: What is the "Follow/Fan" link on Huffington Post user accounts?
· A: When you find a commenter you like, you can press the Follow/Fan link next to the commenter's name. Your selection will appear on your profile page and on the profile page of that commenter. This way you can keep track of the commenters you like and those who like you. We are working on a way to alert you when your favorite commenters post new comments on the site.
Q: Can I follow a blogger?
· A: Absolutely. Each blogger has their own profile page that includes their bios and a Follow link. You can find this page by clicking on a blogger's name and you will receive alerts when this author publishes new posts.
Q: Where can I sign up for news alerts and other notifications?
· A: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/signup
A: Community and Commenting Guiding Principles
The Huffington Post has a thriving user community and encourages commenting on news stories and blog posts. We are dedicated to maintaining a respectful, engaging and informative conversation. Towards that end, we have basic ground rules for commenting to maintain a civil atmosphere. These are supported by a moderating system that features a team of staff moderators. If you wish to participate in the community, we ask that you follow the ground rules below and the spirit of the community they seek to create.
(I) If your comments make this community a less civil and enjoyable place to be, you and your comments may be excluded from it.
· A: Please be aware that not all comments may appear directly on the Huffington Post site, but will still appear on your Facebook feed for you and your friends, unless you have unchecked the "also post on Facebook" box above the comment entry space.
Q: Why do my posts never appear in the Huffington Post comments?
· A: If a user has repeatedly posted comments that have violated these ground rules, their comments may be blocked from appearing on the site. This would include inappropriate comments that contain, insults, attacks, abuse towards other users or groups; or have engaged in trolling or hijacking the comment threads.
Even more questions? Find answers at http://help.huffingtonpost.com
Updated: June 2, 2014