It's been a long, harsh winter, the kind that takes a toll on the complexion. Between the cold and windy weather and the dry air of indoor heating, skin can become parched and chapped. And as much as we want to conceal dehydrated skin, our daily makeup isn't always up to the task. Powders are especially problematic, as they tend to accentuate the telltale cracks and flakes of dry skin. The cosmetic solution is in gentle, emollient-rich formulations that both hydrate and nourish dreary winter faces.
Clockwise from top left:
- Lip of Luxury champagne-infused lipstick by Too Faced. $20 at Sephora.
- Eyeko Fat Balm comes in six delicious shades and an SPF of 15. $10 at Eyeko.
- Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Balm by Clinique gives lips a sheer but vivid wash of color and a smoothing hit of mango and shea butter. $15 at Clinique.
- Origins Flower Fusion lipstick contains floral extracts to keep lips petal soft. $16 at Origins.
- Nourish-Mint Rehydrating Lip Glaze by Aveda plumps and shines with natural jojoba, pomegranate, and vanilla. $18 at Aveda.
- Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer is a bronzy highlighter made with oil from the Argan Tree, a natural ingredient that helps replenish skin's lost moisture. $28 at Sephora.
- Becca's Creme Blush contains Vitamin E for silky application. $30 at Becca Cosmetics.com.
- Smashbox In Bloom Cream Cheek Duo contains two bright, blendable pinks for a floral flush of color. $26 at Ulta Beauty.
- Aura Multi-Use Blushes by Vapour Organic Beauty are all-natural, formulated with certified organic ingredients, and easy as pie to apply. $28 at VapourBeauty.com.
- Cheek Tints by Jouer come in a wide variety of sheer, sweet shades. $20 at Jouer Cosmetics.com.
- Estée Lauder's Resilience Lift Extreme Radiant Lifting Makeup contains a time-released formula for gradual, all-day hydration. $36.50 at EsteeLauder.com.
- The gentle formula of Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer contains ginger, gingko biloba, and chamomile to hydrate and soothe skin.$34 at StilaCosmetics.com.
- Lorac Natural Performance Foundation provides medium coverage, along with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant ingredients to keep irritation at bay. $36 at Sephora.
- SkinTint FX Treatment and Tinted Moisturizer is infused with natural minerals to leave skin silky smooth with just a subtle glow of color. Makes a great primer for foundation. $42 at CoverFX.com.