I am an author so I should be able to write my own sales copy.
I am in the business of marketing so creating a landing page is no big deal.
Ah, if only these statements were true, 100% of the time. How humbling is that I am both an author and a marketer and I still seek outside collaborative help when it comes to creating a stellar landing page. I do it because I know how important it is to create a page that accomplishes the desired outcome: Sales!
Copy writing is one of the most important skills I have learned over the years. You have a lot riding on a good sales page. You have already invested time and money to produce a product or deliver a service and now it's time to attract the business.
Here is the basic formula for a successful landing page:
- Write an attention-grabbing headline
- Identify the reader's problem -- point out the problem they are having and reach out to them with an expression of compassion and understanding
- Explain why other solutions don't work or haven't -- someone interested in your product has likely already tried others. The idea is to get the reader to agree with your statements of what has not worked in the past.
- Offer a solution -- explain why your product works and its benefits
- Insert a "Buy Now" button in several places -- different readers will make their purchase decision at varying times throughout the landing page. Make it easy for them to purchase it at their buying time.
- Focus on benefits, benefits, benefits -- do this not just with words, but with endorsements.
- Validate your claims and expertise -- use facts and statistics
- Provide "social proofing" if you can -- solid, tangible testimonials from real people
- Offer a great price -- do some research about what similar offerings are on the market
- Create a sense of urgency -- limited time offer, seats are limited, etc.
- Anticipate any objections -- assume the reader will want to know what makes your product or service different, what results they can expect, is there a guarantee, etc.
- Ask a provocative question -- engage the readers by asking them to imagine their dreams coming true. Illustrate how your product/service can help accomplish those dreams.
- Add a bonus or bonuses -- contact potential affiliates to include their e-products. It does not cost them anything and it adds to their visibility.
- Say it more than once -- people don't always read every word, so repeat your benefits and your buy now button
- Use compelling, energetic sales language -- you may need to push yourself out of your comfort zone to write on an emotional level. You can still use high-energy words and remain authentic.
- Provide clear instructions -- your Buy Now button may be customized to read, "click here to reserve your seat" or "click below and let's get started..."
- Break up the text -- Because of the amount of information you are sharing use plenty of white space, bullet points and lists
This all may seem a bit overwhelming -- even if you are a talented writer. You are not the first nor should you feel alone in the process. If you are not planning to hire a copywriter to do the work for you, seek out a mentor to guide you. Because writing a great sales landing page is an essential element of successful product launch, I have included copy writing techniques in my new Online to Riches program. Don't let this one piece of the puzzle stop you from sharing your talents with the online world.
Peggy McColl is a New York Times best-selling author and an internationally recognized expert in the field of personal and professional development and Internet marketing. As an entrepreneur, business owner, mentor and professional speaker Peggy has been inspiring individuals to pursue their personal and business objectives and achieve ultimate success. She provides effective Internet marketing solutions for entrepreneurs, authors, publishers, professionals, and business owners, who want to establish an online presence, achieve bestseller status, build their brand, grow and/or expand their business online. You can find out more about Peggy at her website, Destinies.com.