What are tips to help a soccer novice coach a kid's soccer team well?: originally appeared on Quora: The best answer to any question. Ask a question, get a great answer. Learn from experts and access insider knowledge. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
Answer by Jim Gordon, ex-ref instructor, ex-coach, Div 3 pro team manager, local and US state association board member, youth player and fan. Taught refs in three countries, reffed in two, got involved with refereeing in a couple more.
Organize your practices (Every player should have a ball, marked with the player's name, and be responsible for bringing it to practice. Coach brings the pump).
- Warmups with the ball, using skills taught in prior practices.
- Teach the object of the game and teach how the techniques (skills) fit.
More questions on Quora:
- Youth Sports: How do you feel about sports teams "running up the score"?
- Youth Sports: What are the arguments for keeping score in youth sports?
- Sports: What sport requires the greatest investment in technique development to achieve success at the elite level?