Nearly 20 percent of all 2014 Illinois pension recipients lived out of state. Between the taxes and the weather, we can't say we blame retirees. There are about 200,000 active retirees in the state's five systems. Collectively, about $1.5 billion was distributed to pensioners residing in other states, U.S. territories and countries.
The data was obtained from each pension system through Freedom of Information Act requests and show the total number of pensioners who live outside Illinois , break down by state and gross retirement benefits paid to out-of-state retirees in fiscal year 2014.
It's probably not much of surprise that Florida is the most popular state for retirees. But what you might find interesting is that a number of our neighbor states seem to be common choices for retirees from all five pension systems. If anything, that tells you the Midwest's weather is not the only culprit.
1. Teachers Retirement System
Active retirees: 101,184
Out-of-state retirees: 20,147
Retirement benefits paid: $874.9 million
States with the most TRS pensioners:
- Florida - 4,037 (198.2 million)
- Arizona - 1,829 (90.5 million)
- Wisconsin - 1,688 (77.1 million)
- Indiana - 1,459 (64.7 million)
- Missouri - 1,352 (54.5 million)
- Texas - 897 (34.0 million)
- California - 774 (28.3 million)
- Michigan - 744 (33.6 million)
- Colorado - 715 (30.7 million)
- Tennessee - 640 (27.8 million)
2. State Universities Retirement System
Active retirees: 50,237
Out-of-state retirees: 11,240
Retirement benefits paid: $417.7 million
States with the most SURS pensioners (data on retirement benefits paid by state is unavailable):
- Florida - 1,657
- California - 728
- Arizona - 699
- Missouri - 638
- Indiana - 610
- Texas - 552
- Wisconsin - 551
- Michigan - 406
- North Carolina - 361
- Colorado - 336
- Tennessee - 336
Check out how many retirees from the General Assembly Retirement System, Judges Retirement System and State Employees' Retirement System have moved out of Illinois at Reboot Illinois.
Sign up for our daily email to stay up to date with Illinois politics.
- Betcha didn't know these 30 fun Illinois facts!
- Weird place names in Illinois
- House approves bill to decriminalize marijuana in Illinois
- The top 20 most challenging high schools in Illinois
- Want to tell your elected officials what you think of the state of government in Illinois? Use our Sound Off tool.