THE BLOG

June 28, 2010, News Update

06/29/2010 11:09 am 11:09:58 | Updated May 25, 2011

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, commander of US Forces is Afghanistan, puts boot in mouth once again, gets booted.

The General and top aides unloaded on President Obama and top Administration officials to "embedded" reporter from Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone, that commie newspaper? Damn, they thought it was Rolling Thunder.

Or maybe they all thought nobody at the Pentagon would ever read Rolling Stone. This was like embedding Fox Noise in the White House.


This would not have happened if the General had looked into his McChrystal Ball. (OK, boo).


The General who rode into Afghanistan on a white horse turned about to be a neigh-sayer. (Boo again).

White House names Gen. Petraeus to replace McChrystal, hoping his White Horse still prancing.

Defense Secretary Gates says we are "not bogged down" in Afghanistan. So, Mr. Secretary, how would you describe our 9 years there without discernible progress?


Only people happy with McChrystal mess are BP executives. Got'em off lead story for 72 hours.


Apple releases new IPhone, which flies off shelves. BP oil gusher goes into third month. Unfortunately, there's not an app for that.


BP CEO Tony Wayward relieved of "day-to-day clean-up duties" in Gulf gusher disaster. May soon get clean-OUT duties, as in Clean Out Your Desk. Now.

Federal Judge Martin Feldman strikes down President Obama's six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. Has nothing to do with his investments in oil and energy stocks.

Judge says moratorium "generic, blanket and indeed punitive." Apt words for the gusher itself?


Black candidate Tim Scott wins Republican primary race for Congress in South Carolina. That's not a misprint... it's South Carolina. He now has a chance to become a rara avis in American politics -- a black Republican Congressman. Defeated rival Paul Thurmond, son of segregationist Gov. and Sen. Strom Thurmond, by more than 30 points. Strom must be burning crosses in his grave.


Democrats say they do not dread Scott (All right, stop the booing).

Poll shows 87% of New Yorkers believe their state government is dysfunctional. The other 13% live in New Jersey.

NRA getting exemption from campaign reform law requiring disclosure of contributors.... Just when you thought Congress couldn't be more craven....

Team USA loses in World Cup soccer to Ghana. Republicans blame Obama.

They call it futbol over there, but if it had been real football, as in NFL, we would have kicked the s--t out of Ghana.

New York Daily News headline: "Team USA a Ghaner."

(So, go boo them). US loss means you can forget about soccer for the next four years. For most Americans, it's a dumb game anyway.

Finally, keeping you up to date on the Royal Front, the grocery press reports Prince William's fiancée is pregnant and that they have eloped. Just thought you inquiring minds would want to know.