Enough's enough. CNN's a business, if not a well-run one, and they've crossed an ethical line with the hiring of Glenn Beck. The continued cheapening of American journalism, symbolized by the promotion of Anderson Cooper as the Pat Boone of broadcast news, was bad enough. They've been piling on the right-wing hacks for some time, but Beck is an offense to decent human discourse. He's in David Duke-land. It's time for a boycott.
Think I'm over-reacting? Then consider these highlights from Beck's career:
* "It took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families."
* "And that's all we're hearing about, are the people in New Orleans. Those are the only ones that we're seeing on television (Katrina refugees) are the scumbags."
* (to a caller claiming to have tortured Iraqis) - "Good for you ... I'm glad people like you are on our side."
* "I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself ... I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out of him."
* (On the father of beheading victim Nick Berg) - "I think he is grieving, but I think he's a scumbag as well. I don't like this guy at all."
Let's see -- what's the likelihood of a liberal who talked like this getting a gig at CNN? (answer below)
I bitched when they hired Bill Bennett, the hypocrite/liar/gambling addict who enriches himself with money intended for schoolchildren. and wondered if "CNN" stood for "Chasing Non-Negroes" after the upteenth missing white woman was pursued. I've yowled about Mr. Bowtie a time or two - it was especially cute when he made fun of a little girl losing her intestines in a swimming pool accident, wasn't it?
The whining - excuse me, commentary - of people like me will never make a difference. A thousand bloggers typing at a thousand keyboards for a thousand years will never write the piece that will change this organization. So here's a request, from me to you:
Stop watching CNN. Please. I have.
I suspect most of CNN's viewership is liberal politically. Where else are they going to go - Fox? I don't think so. MSNBC - sure, for Olbermann, but the rest of the time it's "What, are you still here?" But those of us who keep watching as we bite our knuckles in frustration's are the network's bitches. There are other options, like Crooks and Liars for on-demand video.
You know they do a lousy job, yet you still watch. Day after day you hope they'll change, but they never do. It's called co-dependence. I've had it, too. But this is it. I'm done. I'm boycotting CNN.
Who's with me?
ANSWER TO BRAIN-TEASER: It's a trick question: There are no liberals at CNN.
CALL-UP: If any readers have experience mounting a media boycott, feel free to comment or drop me a line. Maybe we can get something organized. Celebrity spokespeople are also welcome ...
Follow RJ Eskow on Twitter: www.twitter.com/rjeskow