Parents know carbon pollution fuels climate change. Parents know carbon pollution leads to more asthma attacks and increases the frequency and intensity of extreme weather. Parents know their families need protection from dangerous carbon pollution.
Now there is a bill that would allow power plants to continue dumping unlimited amounts of carbon pollution into the air, contributing to climate change and putting our children's health at risk - the Whitfield-Manchin bill.
3 Things you need to know about the Whitfield-Manchin bill:
- While we have limits on arsenic, lead, and mercury, there are NO federal limits on dangerous carbon pollution from dirty energy power plants.
- EPA is putting in place a reasonable, cost-effective plan to reduce the pollution driving climate change. But Congressman Whitfield and Senator Manchin are raising a series of impossible barriers for the EPA.
- This bill would strip the EPA of its authority to protect public health, and to support the agency's common sense plan to cut carbon pollution from the nation's power plants.
3 Ways the Whitfield-Manchin bill could harm your children:
- The bill overturns existing authority for EPA to establish carbon pollution limits for new power plants.
- The bill allows utilities to decide what the regulation will be for new plants - delaying the use of the best emissions reductions technology for years or even decades.
- The bill ensures that carbon pollution limits for exiting power plants will never be implemented.
Parents know preventing the EPA from reducing carbon pollution from power plants, which are the nation's largest source of carbon pollution does not protect their families.
And parents know when polluters would win, the rest of us lose.