Note: Ross Mathews is currently standing in for Chelsea Handler as host of Chelsea Lately for four nights, Jan. 23 to Jan. 26. Below, Mathews, who is currently developing a pilot for his own talk show on E!, discusses five ways he has been preparing for a guest hosting role.
1) I've been trying to do the things that Chelsea does to prepare, so I've been drinking. A lot. Every night, starting around noon. And I thought it would be fun to hang out with one of Chelsea's best friends, Jennifer Aniston, but that didn't really work out because the fence around Jen's house is super high and really hard to climb (especially when you're drunk).
2) I watch the original Annie on a loop and sing along in order to warm up my voice and channel that very specific kind of optimistic 11-year-old go-get-'em kinda energy that'll make me a hit!
3) It's a well-known fact that the TV camera adds 10 pounds. I don't want to say that I've been calling my Jenny Craig consultant a lot, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first spokesperson whom they've considered filing a restraining order against. (Just kidding. I love my consultant and credit her for helping me turn my B cups into As.)
4) I watch Michelle Kwan performances on YouTube, because even though Olympic gold eluded her, that girl is a champion who gives me chills! And if that doesn't work, I watch the video of that piano-playing cat and remember that anything is possible!
5) I schedule a Hollywood power lunch with Chelsea's li'l sidekick Chuy. I really look up to him because he gives a great pep talk and knows where to get the best tacos in town.
Chelsea Lately airs Monday through Friday at 11 p.m. on E!. For more info on Ross Mathews, visit his official website and follow him on Twitter. For more on Chelsea Handler and Chelsea Lately, follow her on Twitter and visit the show's official website.
More:Ross Mathews Ross The Intern Ross Mathews Chelsea Lately Chelsea Handler Chelsea Lately Ross The Intern
How will Donald Trump’s first 100 days impact YOU? Subscribe, choose the community that you most identify with or want to learn more about and we’ll send you the news that matters most once a week throughout Trump’s first 100 days in office. Learn more