Spiritual awakening can happen when one has climbed up the mountain of self-growth and has reached what Maslow calls "self-actualization," Carl Jung calls "individuation," and other psychologists call "a fully functioning human being" or "a complete self." This is an internal sense of transformation that happens, making the experience a personal and unique one to the individual. The purpose of this article is to focus on some of the symptoms that people experiencing this state of transformation report having. For further understanding of the relationship between biology and spirituality, there are a few links at the end of this article you can go to.
Listed below are signs of spiritual awakening reported by those who have experienced it. It is important to note that these symptoms will eventually fade away after one adjusts to this phase of transformation.
- More flows of energy interspersed with a few days of pure fatigue and the need to recuperate.
- More distractions in sleeping patterns in the beginning of the this phase.
- Stimulated sensations like a feeling of cold/hot, minor but sudden feelings of shaking, and a sensation of a burst of energy running throughout the body.
- Great ideas, seeing the depth of the truth, willingness to look beyond the tip of the iceberg, compassion on a bigger scale, and thirst for knowledge. Some may feel pressure in the frontal part of their brain which is the logical and thinking part. This could be due to their increased need for understanding, knowledge and awareness.
- Healing of the past may create an internal anxiety. Issues that have been denied, repressed, and avoided may surface to be processed and released.
- Changes in the body like looking younger and stronger, which also goes hand-in-hand with changes in the eating habits and life style. Everything revolves around health.
- Having personal and peak experiences where one feels at one and in peace with her/his surroundings. Having meaningful dreams and in-depth visions are not uncommon.
- Craving more and more to break free from traditions, outdated institutional thinking, blind conformity, and useless beliefs that do not serve the higher self anymore. This breaking free takes a lot of courage.
- Seeing and comprehending symbols and signs that have in-depth meanings.
- More and more awareness of synchronicity.
If you feel like someone who has been through spiritual transformation or is going through one, surround yourself with peaceful, aware, positive, healthy, and supportive people and circumstances. It is extremely important to take good care of yourself, be gentle with yourself, and pay attention to removing yourself from toxic situations and relationships. If there are physical or emotional issues that need an expert's advice, don't shy away from getting help from them.
Sources for further research:
 Marc Kaufman, "Meditation Gives Brain a Charge, Study Finds." The Washington Post, 3 Jan 2005. Link.
 "Is This Your Brain on God?" NPR. Link.
Roya R. Rad, MA, PsyD
For more by Roya R. Rad, MA, PsyD, click here.
For more on the spirit, click here.