1. "Why not us?" is one of the most powerful questions a team, person, or organization can ask.
2. Reach for what is just inches away from your grasp and great things can happen.
3. Never give up.
4. Teams are made of smart, unique, compelling individuals that unite and become greater than the sum of each individual part.
5. Gratefully accept love and admiration from people who love what you do.
6. How does a team get to the Super Bowl? Practice. Practice. Practice.
7. Be yourself. Build on your strengths. Stay focused on your goal, day by day.
8. The outcome of a game depends upon great effort, taking chances, well-trained skills, and incredible timing.
9. Fans can support a team by being loud enough to shake a stadium, or by being quiet enough to hear the wind whistle.
10. Stay focused and stay on message. It's no accident the word 'opportunity' regularly comes out of the mouth of the coach, quarterback, and every player on the team.
11. Every player has inner reserves of strength, ability, and skill. Knowing how to access these qualities is what separates the good from the great.
12. Winning is a process. It happens through preparation, as well being in the moment.
13. Keep pushing ahead. Life will push back. But games are won by consistent forward motion.
14. A team has a collective mind, and strategy is every player's responsibility.
15. Optimism, options, and opportunities are carved in the air on game day.
16. Acknowledge the hard work and extreme joy of those who have cheered you on.
17. Revel in the fun of the game, as well as the seriousness of the game. It's called playing a game for a reason.
18. Appreciate the sheet physical poetry of the players, and be in awe when the nearly impossible happens.
19. Plan a strategy for a season. Stick to the plan. Adapt to changes in the moment.
20. A team is a mental, physical, and emotional collaborative effort between players. When all these elements come together it creates a great force that causes the ground to shake, lightning to strike from the sky, and the fans to rise up and and bring the passion.
Follow Russell C. Smith on Twitter: www.twitter.com/digitalfirebook