I caught up with Old 97's frontman Rhett Miller at the record release party for his new self-titled album. And while everyone else was kissing his butt and fawning over his good looks, I had a more serious agenda -- although, I gotta say the album is good. Is that ass-kissing? I met with Rhett to test this guy's Pop Culture I.Q. Here's the test I gave him -- five questions about singer-songwriters.
I'll give you 10. If you pass them all, you can go through the rest of your day confident in the knowledge that you're smarter than Rhett Miller.
HONOR SYSTEM INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Click on question for correct answer
2. Keep your own score
3. No checking Wikipedia or other reference sources
4. Answers are also at the bottom
1. Who wrote the Monkees' 1966 hit, "I'm a Believer"?
a. Neil Young
b. Neil Sedaka
c. Neil Diamond
2. Who wrote Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's "Woodstock" in 1969 despite not attending the music festival?
a. Richie Havens
b. Joni Mitchell
c. Robert Plant & Jimmy Page
3. Which artist did NOT cover Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind"?
a. Stevie Wonder
b. The Hooters
c. Janis Joplin
4. What was the name of Paul Simon's failed 1997 Broadway play?
a. "The Capeman"
b. "Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard"
5. Which singer-songwriter served six years in the British Army until 2002?
a. Damien Rice
b. David Gray
c. James Blunt
6. What was the name of Elvis Costello's 1977 debut album?
a. "Watching the Detectives"
b. "My Aim Is True"
c. "This Year's Model"
7. What was the name of Ryan Adams' 1990s alt-country band?
a. Son Volt
8. What was Cat Stevens last album before changing his name to Yusuf Islam?
a. "Back to Earth"
b. "Buddha and the Chocolate Box"
9. Which Jim Croce song was inspired by an Army friend?
a. "Operator (That's Not the Way It Feels)"
b. "You Don't Mess Around with Jim"
c. "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown"
10. Who wrote the Janis Joplin classic "Me and Bobby McGee"?
a. Waylon Jennings
b. Kris Kristofferson
c. Johnny Cash
1. c 2. b 3. c 4. a 5. c 6. b 7. b 8. a 9. c 10. b
You are Profoundly Challenged.
You are Challenged.
You are Bright.
You are Gifted.
You are Exceptionally Gifted.
You're a Pop Culture Genius!
Follow Shawn Amos on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ShawnAmos