“I exceeded the word limit on my previous post, so here is what I had to chop out:
Another caveat: D loves to be stored in fat. If you are overweight/obese, D will make it to your fat cells instead of your blood. It's also a catch-22, as low D levels help to promote obesity in people. On the good side, if you are obese and lose weight, some of the immediate health benefits come from the D being released form your fat cells.”
Pete59 on Apr 2, 2011 at 02:20:30
“All the evidence (although this is limited) is that the 25(OH)D does not re enter the blood from fat when you loose weight.”
“Of course, the corporate-sponsored scientists at the CDC are playing a shell game. They claim that 66% of the population have sufficient vitamin D levels, falling in the 50 to 125 nanomoles range. 50 nanomoles is barely 20 NANOGRAMS (the standard measuring unit). 20 ng is the old benchmark that was designed to combat rickets.
The optimal level of D is between 50 and 80 NANOGRAMS. In this range, a lot of serious health problems (problems that Big Pharma makes a significant portion of its money "treating") will disappear.
The majority of Americans (and Northern Europeans) are severely D deficient, kept out of the sun because of jobs, frightened out of the sun with irresponsible government paranoia about sunshine, and living in parts of the world that don't have adequate year-round sun.
Gettng D from food if you have adequate blood levels of D is possible, but raising levels of D through food is virtually impossible. So you must supplement.
But to make sure you have optimal D levels, you need to do regular blood tests (either through your doc or home kits).
I took D seriously about 16 months ago. I haven't had a cold/flu since, and a 20 year battle with (sometimes moderate, sometimes severe) psoriasis has been won. This winter I had only three dime-sized patches instead of the usual winter joy of 25+% coverage of skin so dry it crack and bleed.”
tomteboda on Apr 22, 2011 at 23:30:57
“Also your math doesn't work out. The molecular wight of cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) is 384.65 g/ mol.
50 nmol cholecalciferol = 50 nmol * (10^-9 mol) / 1nmol * 384.65 g / mol = 1.92*10^-5 g
That would be 19.2 micrograms, a scale more than a thousand times what you just claimed (on the lowest end).”
tomteboda on Apr 22, 2011 at 23:22:51
“Perhaps you are unaware, but most CDC work is sponsored by the federal government.”
“The guy is pushing a vegan agenda; why bother with facts?
When I go "keto" (and I am talking 30g a day of veggie carbs, not NO carbs), there is no way I can't drop fat (and there is also no way I could do 2-3 hours of exercise a day). Go to the low carb or (better) "Paleo" forums, and you will find my experience in line with 99% of people eating clean and low carb.
Picking an outlier (I won't even suggest "making stuff up") to make a point is simply wrong.”
Rick Cain on Mar 30, 2011 at 15:55:53
“I went vegan for 2 years, and dropped 25 pounds almost immediately, my acne cleared up and my feet and underarms stopped stinking.
Its just tough to maintain, but then again my life wasn't on the line so I had less to lose if I gave it up.”
Euterpe360 on Mar 30, 2011 at 13:12:41
“You're complaining about outliers and your doing keto? Talk about your extremes.”
gypsygal on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:01:10
“I agree that he is pushing vegetarian/vegan. I liked the rest of the article, but disagreed with this point. I have found there is truth in the "metabolic typing" concept - ie, that some people can handle carbs, some cannot. I tried shifting to a raw, vegan diet and within a year, felt more miserable than I ever have in my life. I read some books on metabolic typing, took the test, and found that they recommended a high protein/high purine diet for my body's metabolism. I switched back to animal protein and animal fats, with a very low percentage of carbs, and I have regained my health and energy.
Not everyone can do all plant. I wish those who push this agenda would open their eyes and acknowledge this fact.”
“Cherries have a GI of 22, so they are awesome, right? But most of the sugar in cherries is fructose, which is why (as fructose doesn't promote an insulin response) it has a low GI. Excessive fructose consumption is dangerous, especially for your liver.
Also, smearing that baguette with trans-fat-laden margarine will lower the GI quite a bite. But does that make it healthy?
Oversimplified nutrition "systems", such the GI Index, means that people can fool themselves into thinking their diet is healthy, when it's not...”
“True. 80% of our body composition is due to diet. The other 20% is due to genetics and exercise.
You'll never see an all-you-can-eat buffet in France. Not because of profit/loss concerns, but because the idea is alien (even disgusting) to most French people. They don't actually WANT that sort of eating (feeding).”