“here here, If community colleges would start to adopt some of the policies of the for profit they could offer more classes. As of right now the models they use exclude populations of people. They should adopt more online classes, more distance education, more night programs. They should end tenure and have professors on short term contracts so that they can be fired if they are not doing a good job. Traditional education could learn a lot of good things from for-profit colleges.”
“Bill Pepiccello has only been president for the last 18 months. He has spent every day since he took over trying to fire every corrupt advisers and change the compensation method for advisers to no longer reward them for student enrollments.
The person to blame for this culture is the previous president Brian Muehler. He is now at Grand Canyon University. It was under him the Univesity was sued, and he just paid off a simalar suit at his new school. He is the greed, Pepiccello is trying to change the culture.
Why else would he agree to this interview? He wants to reinvent the University and really make it even more student focused.”
Iraqnophobia on Aug 21, 2010 at 03:12:43
“oh please, nothing has changed in the last 18 months except talk. And all Pepiccello has done is talk. The performance matrices are still in effect, you still have to enroll a certain # of students so what has changed? the big hitters who break compliance daily are still applauded, the honest folks who look out for the best interest of the student are still hounded about their numbers or fired. Every director in the company is still there with their used car salesman techniques, nothing has changed.”
“The University should be held to a higher standard, I absolutely agree. That said even Harvard has students that are unsatisfied, Go to a state school and there are even more unsatisfied students. The point is that even with a vast majority of students feeling like they got value out of their education, the small percentage of students that are dissatisfied represent a large number. There are about fifty complaints on that page. Out of 450000 students that is a .001% of the student body. This is hardly representative of an epidemic problem. It is a few isolated incidents where in most case it is the fault of the student.”
“Most Universities have about a 95% satisfaction rate. Assuming this is true of the University of Phoenix, and assuming the other 5% are dissattisfied, apply that to University of Phoenix's 450,000 student base. If 5% of the student base is angry or dissatisfied that is 22500 angry students. That means that because they are big there are a lot of complaints, but it does not mean that they are out of the norm for any business. Coca-Cola is one of the most sued companies in the world. It's because they are big and have the most customers. Keep in mind percentages when looking at complaints, and I challenge you to find a large company that doesn't have some complainers.”
PartyPartyParty on Aug 20, 2010 at 19:53:55
“Since when should an educational institution be run like a business?”