“No, I didn't mean skewed as a bad thing, I know it's to protect the represented minority. My point is that it's there to protect the minority, which means there's no need for an additional device called a filibuster, to protect the minority of the minority. That's not in the Constitution. And I hate how there's no real debate anymore. Just put a flag on a bill to stop it and if there's not enough people to debate even letting people debate on it, then it dies? That's just strange and unfair.”
“I have no problem with the statement "The right of a minority is so important in a democracy." That's called the SENATE. A filibuster is strange created beast outside the Constitution that gives power to the supersmall minority. One that can hold the rest of the Senate hostage, as they say, without doing any heavy lifting. It's like opting in vs. opting out. It's easy to put a flag on something you don't want and then walk away, but it's hard to argue something you want and fight for it.”
“The Senate is a skewed representative democracy in the first place, where two people represent a state of 30 million, and two people also represent a state of half a million. When over 50% of people in the Senate vote in one direction, they potentially are representing less than the amount of people in the three largest populated states. They don't need a filibuster for the minority to stop legislation! Thanks to the filibuster, 11% of the populous can dictate the other 89%! That's not right.”
SENT1 on May 1, 2012 at 00:58:29
“exactly 41(R) counties dictate policy for the entire Country....bizarre
Proud Progressive on Apr 30, 2012 at 23:07:04
“Your ignorance is breathtaking!
Congress was set up this way on purpose, the Senate was supposed to give all states equal voice-regardless of population and to act as a stabilizing influence on the (comparatively) mercurial House of Representatives where the seats were distributed according to the population of the state. That is also why there is a difference in terms, the House is supposed to reflect the (more or less current) view of the electorate.
Right or not, it is the way it is, and up until recently, it has worked very well.”
Oppose obama on Apr 30, 2012 at 22:58:32
“That is how the founding fathers intended it when they created the constitution. If u got a Problem with it then propose a constitutional amendment”