iOS app Android app
Clicking Follow Back will add user to your friends list and may allow access to your Social News timeline..

HuffPost Social News

Badges:
Your Badges and the Badge Module will be removed from your profile

poisonednoonie's Comments

View Comments:   Sort:
Ways To Sabotage Child Custody

Ways To Sabotage Child Custody

Commented Apr 6, 2012 at 21:37:39 in Divorce

“Despite myths put out by the fathers' "rights" movement that mothers always win custody cases, fathers actually win custody in 70% of custody disputes, and this is true even though most men who abuse women and children are far more likely than other fathers to fight for custody and engage in prolonged litigation.
(Zorza, Batterer Manipulation and Retaliation: Denial and Complicity in the Family Courts, 2001, Abrams & Greaney, Report of the Gender Bias Study of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, 62-63, 1989, APA 1996, p. 40.”

Mike Dehart on Apr 20, 2012 at 19:20:08

“To this day in the U.S., fathers usually ask for 50% custody while mothers ask for, and get, 80% custody. Fathers become mere visitors and must pay draconian support amounts with little enforcement of their parenting time. See, Cynthia McNeeley, “Lagging Behind the Times, Parenthood, Custody and Gender Bias in the Family Court,” on the statistics and also debunking the myth that fathers get custody 70% of the time when they request it.”

Mike Dehart on Apr 20, 2012 at 19:17:51

“Mistated statistic. Fathers win custody 70% when they file and fight for it. You are skewing that stat. Nice try. And It was based soley on Massachusetts cases. Not nationwide.

Not this time.”

G Trieste on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:02:02

“What a distorted spin, and outright falsehoods, you cite.

First you make no distinction as to "legal" custody, and physical custody, or the varying % amounts awarded to the fathers.

Your statistics include anytime a father wins any amount of either legal or physical custody as a "win". Bulsht.
It also says that 30% of all men get NO legal or physical custody of their kids in these custody battles, yet are still required to pay ruinous levels of child support that don't even reflect the costs of supporting a child.

If you were to cite statistics, you should be reporting and answering the question:
"What % of men in custody cases win at least 50% of physical custody of their children?"

This should be a number naturally close to 50% of the time, and yet you will find it is sex discrimination that drives these courts of "equity", and fathers who get at least 50% physical custody is vanishingly small, and an injustice of the deepest degree to fathers of their own children.”

Chris Sirhc on Apr 9, 2012 at 13:34:41

“Some perspective. 95% of cases settle without a custody trial. Of the remaining 5%, half settle out of court.
Mnookin and Maccoby, "Dividing the child", 1992.”

Mr Anonymous on Apr 7, 2012 at 15:42:36

“That may be the case in Massachusettes, but I wouldn't say that Mass is the country norm.”