I'm always striving to improve my memory. Below are some tips I use all the time to help me remember.
Remembering Grocery and Other Lists
- Remember the first letter of each item and make a sentence. For example, Milk, Eggs, Sugar, Lemons becomes My Eagle Sings Lullabies.
Preserving Random Thoughts
If you don't have a pen and paper, call your voicemail with the message or text yourself.
Remembering Where You Put Things
- Before putting something random away, ask yourself, "Where would I look for this?"
It may sound absurd that if you use a purse you would leave home without it. But that's happened to me plenty, typically when I'm carrying a couple of things I don't typically take, say, a sandwich. So when leaving home, before I close the door behind me, I ask myself, "Do I have my purse? Do I have my keys?"
Latch your keys to your purse, so you don't waste minutes searching your home or your purse for them. But then of course you need to remember to take your purse when you leave home.
For More Tips
- Visit my blog, Confessions of a Worrywart.
- See my article 21 Ways to Remember Names, Whether You Took Your Pills & More.
- For dozens of organizing tips, take my Organizing Challenge.
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more