iOS app Android app

Carbon Monoxide

Dunkin' Donuts Customer's Carbon Monoxide Detector Saves Everyone

AP | Posted 06.02.2014 | Weird News

CARLE PLACE, N.Y. (AP) — A Dunkin' Donuts customer looking for a morning cup of coffee was in the right place at the right time with the right equip...

Think: March Is Brain Injury Awareness Month

Lyrysa Smith | Posted 05.14.2014 | Healthy Living
Lyrysa Smith

The sheer number of people with brain injury and all those who love and care for them should make apparent the need for broad attention and concern. Brain injury impinges on the whole person, not just one's legs or lungs, and its consequences are unpredictable.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills 1 At New York Mall

AP | Posted 02.23.2014 | New York

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (AP) — A hospital spokeswoman says a man has died after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a New York mall. Huntington H...

A Carbon Monoxide Detector Saved Our Lives

Jennifer Flaa | Posted 03.30.2014 | Healthy Living
Jennifer Flaa

Our air filter's light turns red and runs on high, which is very unusual, thus prompting us to glance at the carbon monoxide detector in the hallway. It's reading numbers that are climbing quickly with each second.

Survival Guide For Climate Change Debates

Molly Rauch | Posted 02.19.2014 | Green
Molly Rauch

When thorny questions about climate change arise over your Christmas ham, we've got you covered!

Bianca Bosker

The iPod Inventor's Latest Challenge: Smoke Alarms

HuffingtonPost.com | Bianca Bosker | Posted 10.08.2013 | Technology

Two years ago, Tony Fadell, inventor of the iPod and chief executive of Nest Labs, applied Apple-style design savvy to remaking the humble thermostat....

Carbon Monoxide Exposure At Farm Turns Deadly

AP | Posted 08.04.2013 | Crime

FRANKLIN, N.C. -- Authorities in western North Carolina say one person died and 16 others were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carb...

E-Butts: The Marlboro Man Plugs in.

Tom Alderman | Posted 07.07.2013 | Healthy Living
Tom Alderman

You may have seen the recent flurry of stories about a supposed alternative to cigarette addiction called the electronic cigarette. E-butts are a mov...

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Killed Reality Star -- Why Is It So Dangerous?

Posted 04.02.2013 | Healthy Living

"Buckwild" star Shain Gandee, 21, died from carbon monoxide poisoning from toxic exhaust fumes, according to news reports. People magazine reported...

5 Health Risks You Need To Guard Against This Winter

Posted 01.17.2013 | OWN

By Dr. Mehmet Oz The flu isn't the only winter health concern Dr. Oz is warning you against. From heart attacks to stiff joints, here's how t...

When It Comes To Carbon Monoxide, Let's Act Now

Kate Carr | Posted 02.05.2013 | Parents
Kate Carr

This week, 49 children and staff from an elementary school in Georgia were taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. This near-tragedy has many parents, including me, wondering, "Is this something that can happen at my child's school?"

After Evacuation, Atlanta Debates School Carbon Monoxide Detectors

AP | RAY HENRY | Posted 12.05.2012 | Education

ATLANTA -- It's odorless, colorless and deadly. And if carbon monoxide is leaking in a school, it might not be detected. Atlanta school officials are...

Georgia Students Moved To Another School After Gas Scare

AP | Posted 02.03.2013 | Education

ATLANTA — Students from an Atlanta elementary school where potentially deadly carbon monoxide seeped into the air will attend classes at a middl...

Georgia School Evacuated For Carbon Monoxide, 31 Hospitalized

AP | JEFF MARTIN | Posted 02.02.2013 | Education

ATLANTA — Potentially lethal carbon monoxide levels at an Atlanta elementary school with no detectors sent at least 42 students and seven adults...

Power Out From Hurricane Sandy? What To Know Before Using Your Portable Generator

Posted 10.29.2012 | Healthy Living

Power outages due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy may affect as many as 10 million people. If your power has gone out and you are using a portable g...

HORROR: 5 Teens Found Dead In Florida Motel

AP | Posted 05.25.2011 | Home

HIALEAH, Fla. — Fire officials say five friends are dead likely from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a running car in a closed garage undern...

Family Suing County Over Carbon Monoxide Deaths

AP | Posted 05.25.2011 | Denver

DENVER — The relatives of a Denver family killed by carbon monoxide has sued a company and Pitkin County building inspectors over their deaths durin...

Carbon Monoxide Deaths in Aspen Lead to Indictments

Robert Weller | Posted 05.25.2011 | Denver
Robert Weller

The deaths of four members of a Denver family in a home just east of Aspen during the Thanksgiving weekend two years ago have resulted in the indictments of three people.

Death In Balcony Fall Not The First Death For NYC Landlord

HuffPost Citizen Reporting | Bernie Mooney | Posted 05.25.2011 | New York

Produced by HuffPost's Local Citizen Reporting Team Two weeks ago, 24-year-old Connor Donohue fell to his death after a faulty railing gave way on hi...

The Secrets in Smoke

Deborah Blum | Posted 11.17.2011 | Healthy Living
Deborah Blum

In 1854, the essayist Henry David Thoreau published an ode to a morning fire: "Light-winged Smoke, Icarian bird... Lark without song, and messenger o...