When word comes from the deep that the sub is done with its work and is returning to the surface, the LRT divers suit back up and reverse the process -- essentially landing the sub on the barge underwater like a fighter jet hitting the deck of an aircraft carrier.
To date we've explored less than 5 percent of the world beneath the waves. So what's in the other 95 percent? Is it possible that by some chance we've already found all of the exciting stuff, or is the ocean full of surprises?
There is a better way to govern our last frontiers. The first thing we need is a "timeout." We need a lot more science, and more deliberate thinking about whether this frontier development will help, or hinder, our quest for a sustainable future.
For the rest of my days I'll be stuck with those contrasting images of what we're capable of, from exploring and discovering new life in the most remote parts of our ocean, to using modern technology to carry out mass murder in the heart of a great city.