I've never had a problem with Jesus. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's just the kind of guy you'd always want to have around. But I have had a big problem with his agents, publicists, and managers. They've abused his message for power and converted moldable, excited people into bullied believers and followers. It's time to take Jesus back for the people, and press on with a useful, loving, practical message that can heal us as individuals and the world.
We all have the power, intuition, and ability to think and act for ourselves, until we give that power away. We give our power away because we're bullied into thinking we aren't good enough and someone else must know better than us, therefore we should give over our instincts and act according to instruction. It's hard to escape bullies that come in many shapes and forms. The processed food industry, corrupt religious organizations, and celebrity worship culture are just a few that we deal with in modern times.
What Would Modern Jesus Do?
1. Remind us that we aren't different from him. A huge problem we face when we're in need is giving up our intuition and blindly following instruction. Letting go works when we are following our hearts, but not so well when we are following a leader. It's great to be inspired by an individual when we can connect back to our own path. Modern Jesus would empower us to tap into our own potential, and remind us that we all are good and have the ability to make choices in our lives that determine our path.
2. Eat Healthy. I don't think Jesus would put up with the state of processed food in the world, and he would probably inspire us to get active about it. What we put into our bodies is completely in our control. We can make fresh foods accessible and available but we choose not to. It's a huge battle against how the world is set up now, convenience and addiction, but we are strong-willed and have the ability to prevail. It starts with you right now. What are you going to do today to eat healthy and help your friends and family eat healthy? Obesity, heart disease, and diabetes are killing us, and now are even killing our kids. We have the ability to put an end to it.
3. Be nice. So simple but so tricky. We can get stuck in our own ideas of how things are and how things should be, so much that we glaze over and miss treating others with kindness. Simple acts of kindness spread like wildfire. Open the door for a stranger, call a friend you haven't spoken with for a while, or tell your spouse your appreciate and love them. It works wonders every time.
4. Get active. Would modern Jesus be sitting around with kids playing video games, or outside running and getting active? Our bodies are a gift. We have to take care of them. It's increasingly more difficult with our culture, but it's still a choice. Do something active today and drag along a pal too.
5. Be like Jesus. All the great gurus know that the secrets of the universe have been revealed to them and are available for everyone. The great gurus didn't ask for shrines to be built for them. People build shrines for gurus, sometimes because this kind of worship seems easier than taking the message and finding all that power inside ourselves. Gurus want people to realize everyone has the ability to gain a greater understanding of life, inspire others, and live a healthy, productive, rich life.
What would a weekend day in the life of modern Jesus be? Perhaps waking up at 7am and making a healthy breakfast for his family. Tell his family members he loves and appreciates them. Walk outside and hug some people. Follow his heart and remind you to follow yours. Maybe he'd bring his friends to a yoga class followed by a a walk in the park. He'd possibly end his day with a simple healthy meal with friends and conversation about being thankful for being healthy, happy, free, and alive.
Happy Jesus Day.
Follow Tara Stiles on Twitter: www.twitter.com/tarastiles