Santa and I just had a little pow-wow, and there's something he'd like you to know: He's getting a little sick of the cookies. Oh I know, yours are THE BEST and your kids decorated them with ultimate frosting cuteness. But the Jolly One can only eat so many cookies in one night. Actually, Santa wants a cocktail. And maybe a ham sandwich.
It's unorthodox, but Santa might appreciate a different kind of snack. Something with protein. Something with a little kick to keep him going. It's a long night! Why not? Apparently, alternative snacks for Santa is a growing trend. Cooking Light asked its readers what snacks they leave out for Santa, and there were some surprising answers. I have a few suggestions of my own.
1. One Cooking Light reader serves "soy milk, carrots, brie and Gorgonzola crackers." Okay, the combination of soy milk and cheese doesn't make sense to me, either. But cheese comes up a lot and I am totally down with that! Er, I mean, if that's what you want to leave Santa I'm sure he would like it very much. But leave out the jicama. That will result in a lump of coal in your stocking.
2. If you want to make Santa a sandwich that would probably go over really well. I'm just saying. Santa especially likes salami with a strong mustard, maybe some sharp cheddar. Santa likes a few olives and cornichon on the side.
3. Or you could go a completely different direction and leave out an everything bagel with lox and cream cheese. Surprise Santa! He likes those kinds of salty-savory surprises.
4. Whiskey is strongly encouraged. Santa has had plenty of eggnog this season -- and besides, it's cold outside and he needs something to warm his belly. Or a sidecar, if you're feeling ambitious. That would also go over well.
5. And in case you're thinking of the reindeer, yes, I supposed they would like some carrots. But they also like barbecue-flavored potato chips. Just a tip, there.
Do you leave Santa snacks other than milk and cookies on Christmas Eve?
More from The Stir:
Follow The Stir on Twitter: www.twitter.com/The_Stir