Growing up, we sometimes had breakfast for dinner and man oh man, was it exciting. Instead of whatever protein with whatever green vegetable, it was pancakes covered in syrup and delicious strawberries. Although it was a rare treat, the memories of breakfast for dinner have stuck with me all these years.
So why not make some memories as well? Surprise your hungry young ones with their favorite breakfast meals at night. Don't worry, you can keep it healthy. Although a bowl of Frosted Flakes is an easy win, these five breakfast for dinner ideas might involve a little more than pouring cereal in a bowl, but your effort will be worth every smile.
1. Smoked Fish on Toast With Tomato Salad. You may think smoked fish only appeals to more sophisticated palates (read: not the kiddos), but there are tons of smoked fish options that have a mild taste -- perfect for the youngins. The preparation for this dish couldn't be easier -- only two steps! -- and the payoff is huge. Yummy, easy and highly nutritious.
2. Spinach, Feta and Tomato Omelette. Really, you can add anything you want in the omelette. Don't like tomatoes? Sub for red peppers. Not a fan of feta? Cheddar cheese will do just fine. Serve with a side salad or some potatoes, and poof, dinner is ready.
3. Crock Pot Egg Casserole. Slow-cookers are all the rage these days, so while you're preparing actual breakfast in the morning, throw some potatoes, ham, eggs, seasonings and cheese into the Crock-Pot and, when it's time for dinner, you'll be all set.
4. Sausage and Egg Breakfast Pizza. Using prepared pizza dough, this gem of a meal will only take you 30 minutes from start to finish. Top with all your favorite toppings and enjoy the finished product. Runny yolks, sausage and pizza dough? Sounds like heaven.
5. Oatmeal Pancakes. We've all heard how good whole grain is for us, so spruce up your pancake routine and try making them with oatmeal and whole wheat flour. They're delicious and nutritious! But let's be honest: If you put enough syrup on anything, it will taste good.
How do you like to serve brinner, or breakfast for dinner?
More from The Stir:
Breakfast Ideas for People Who Hate to Eat Breakfast
Recipe a Day: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Why Skipping Breakfast Can Make You Gain Weight
How to Please the Pickiest Dinner Guest Ever