For those who hate pickles, it's a dare. For those who can't handle whiskey, it's a godsend. But regardless of who's drinking it, the pickleback is here to stay. But where did this mysterious, unlikely pairing of delicious whiskey and cucumber discharge come from? And how does it relate to boning Avril Lavigne?
CREDIT: Flickr/Paul Opel
1. People have been chasing whiskey with pickle brine for God knows how long, but the term "pickleback" wasn't coined until 2006. As wordsmith/ Brooklyn bartender Reggie Cunningham tells it, in the year of our Lord 2006, he was approached at the Bushwick Country Club by a gold-toothed woman who, in a "filthy redneck voice", made the barman do a series of whiskey shots followed by brine. He fell in love and dubbed it the pickleback.
2. Aliases for the pickleback include "Piskey Whickle" and "Bartender's Handshake".
3. Cunningham is also a rapper named The Mr. Move. He once recorded the appropriately titled track "I'm Wasted" with Trouble Andrew and Lil Jon. And probably did a few picklebacks after. Yeeeeah.
4. Another rapper named Sickabod Sane recorded the song "Pickleback", in which the emcee ditched hip-hop for something that sounds like a piano-heavy duet between Tom Waits and Randy Newman.
6. After gaining traction in Brooklyn, the pickleback spread like wildfire throughout the U.S. and Europe. London's Pitt Cue BBQ claims to be the first Euro League pickleback pro, introducing it to the menu in 2011.