"I believe the record speaks for itself -- Don Rumsfeld is the finest secretary of defense this nation has ever had." -- Dick Cheney, today
Ahem. For the record (from the Iraq Study Group):
- 3,000 Iraqis civilians are killed every month.
- 1.8 million Iraqis have fled the country.
- 1.6 million more have been displaced internally.
- Moqtada al Sadr's army has 60,000 troops.
- Kurdish peshmerga militas number 100,000.
- "Iraqi police cannot control crime, and they routinely engage in secarian violence, including targeted execution of Sunni Arab civilians."
- Shia have gained majority control of Iraq for the first time in 1,300 years.
- "Baghdad is run like a 'Shia dictatorship'"
- As many as 500,000 barrels of oil are stolen every day.
- The United States has already spent $400 billion on this war, and continues to spend $2 billion a week. Final estimates in the ISG report for the cost of the war run as high as $2 trillion.