[figures from Baker-Hamilton Report, 2006; Center for American Progress, 2008]
- current US total: approximately 140,000;
- proposed withdrawal of combat brigades not necessary for force protection: 1-2 per month through summer 2010;
- residual force left in place for counter-terrorism, advisors, trainers, etc.: 10,20,000 instead of current 3-4,000;
- at a typical force protection ratio of three-to-one for a residual force of 15,000: 45,000;
- 15,000 + 45,000: 60,000;
- possible number of US private security contractors left after withdrawal of combat troops: 50,000 est. [current est. 100,000]
- total number of US military personnel after combat troops are withdrawn: 100,000 estimated.
This is what counterinsurgency looks like.