Originally published on Turnstylenews.com, a digital information service surfacing emerging stories in news, entertainment, art and culture; powered by award-winning journalists.
By: Adele Pham
Jelani Gibson had never slept on the street before visiting the Occupy Wall Street movement in Lower Manhattan's Liberty Plaza. But when his grandmother mentioned wanting to travel from Pontiac, Michigan, to New York City to see the growing protests firsthand, he decided he couldn't miss it.
"I'm always hearing how banks are being bailed out, how companies are getting tax cuts, and how resources are being robbed from other countries...but I don't ever hear of people protesting about it in a large group. So when I heard about [the Occupy Wall Street protests], I'm like 'Oh wow. Grandma's going so maybe I can just ask her to take me with her and she did.'"
Jelani, a 4.0 student, says the best thing about the Occupy Wall Street protests is the compassion. To hear more, check out the video above by Turnstyle News contributor Adele Pham.
- Pictures From The Protest: Occupy Wall Street In Lower Manhattan (29.997)
- Occupy Wall Street To Host Rally With Unions (27.446)
- Landmarks Of The Movement: Occupy Wall Street Timeline (26.241)
- Occupy San Francisco Has Been There From The Beginning (20.164)
- From The Brooklyn Bridge To Behind Bars, A Protester's Story (17.536)