Tyler Florence shows you how to create an appetizer that's easy and will impress your friends! At your next party make some Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Bruschetta With Black Lentils.
Prosciutto & Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- 1/2 loaf country bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- kosher salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medallions (4 oz) of goat cheese
- 1/4 pound Prosciutto -- thinly sliced
- 2 cups black lentils (you can substitute with other varieties if you can't find black lentils)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bag (1 pound) baby spinach
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- On a sheet tray lay out the slices of bread and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Turn each piece over and drizzle again so both sides have some oil on them. Toast in the hot oven for 1-2 minutes until slightly crispy but without color. Whilst still hot, gently rub each slice on one side with a garlic clove then set aside.
- Layer each slice of toast with 2-3 slices of goat cheese, a twisted piece of prosciutto and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Put tray of bruschetta back into the oven and heat for about 2 minutes -- until cheese is melted, prosciutto is crispy and bread is golden brown.
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan and cover with 2-3 times the amount of water. Add thyme sprigs and season with salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes until they are soft and tender. They should not be falling apart. Salt to taste then drain any remaining liquid. Set aside.
- Make the honey balsamic vinaigrette by combining the vinegar and honey while you drizzle the olive oil in and whisk the vinaigrette. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large saute pan heat a 2-count of olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic and red onion. Cook until tender and slightly translucent then add the honey balsamic vinaigrette to the onions. In a large mixing bowl add the lentils, washed spinach and the caramelized onions. Toss to coat and season with salt & pepper.
- To serve, lay the prosciutto & goat cheese toast on a plate and serve with warm honey-balsamic spinach salad.