by Sadie Meaher
During college, I got into doing half-marathons. And, as time went by I learned more of my friends were getting into them as well. If you like doing half-marathons, then here is a list of 5 fun half-marathons for college students.
- New Orleans Jazz Half: New Orleans is a just a fun city, but doing a half marathon there can be fun too. My first half marathon was in New Orleans. One thing that makes this city such a fun place to do a half marathon is the local support. My second time doing a half there, a local man stood on a corner giving out donuts. At that point I was hungry and did not care about my time, so I gladly stopped for one. When I did the half marathon it was more of a local race, but it has since been incorporated into the Rock 'n' Roll series. The New Orleans Jazz half is a new local half marathon. Some of my family members have done it, and have had fun with it.
- The Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon: If you love to do races and you love the first race of the Triple Crown, then you might want to look into this race. As a huge Kentucky Derby fan, I loved being in Louisville and the fact that the course takes you through Churchill Downs. The Derby mini marathon is a must for those runners who love to celebrate the first Saturday in May.
- The Flying Pig Half Marathon: Located in Cincinnati, a family member describes this race as a smaller race with a big city feel. She really enjoyed it, so check out what the Flying Pig has to offer.
- Space Coast Half Marathon: I am currently training for this half marathon that takes place in November. Even though I have not completed this race yet, I can tell it looks fun. It is a space themed race with a cool looking medal. What about that says dull? Absolutely nothing. I am very excited for the approaching launch date.
- The Rock 'n' Roll Races: This series has races all over the country. If you like to do races and music, then you might want to check out this series. And, with so many different race locations, there is bound to be a race near you.
If doing races is not your thing, but your friends are into them, then you might want to look into volunteering at a race. Volunteering at races can be fun as well, and you can help cheer on a friend.
Follow Uloop on Twitter: