One of my favorite text messages of all time came from Jennifer Merritt, our staff editor here at iVillage.com... She sent it to me five years ago, but I still remember it as if it was yesterday: "I've spotted the first sandals of the season. Happy spring!"
It's been raining for the last three days, but I just know texts of this nature will be flooding inboxes starting tomorrow. The weather man says, it's going to be sunny, mild and reaching the high 60s, and it'll be even nicer this weekend (or at least for the tristate area). I'm anticipating a happy spring indeed!
And you know what that means, ladies... It's time to show off your beautifully pedicured toes. As for what to choose at the nail salon -- toss those navies, blacks and reds that we adored this past fall and winter. For spring and summer, it's all about muted hues, pastels and bright shades.
For starters, try these:
- Matte Gray: Muted neutrals are hot this spring, but be sure to liven up the rest of your wardrobe with bright colors if you go with this polish. Try the Waking Up in Vegas Nail Color from the Lippmann Collection ($16 at Barneys New York).
- Shades of Brown: From light to dark, have your pick. Brown shades will also go fabulously with the gold jewelry and sandals you'll be sporting this spring. Try the SpaRitual Nail Lacquer in Hush ($10 at SkinStore.com).
- Something Citrus: Orange and yellows -- matte, shiny or metallic -- are hot for spring. We especially love the butter LONDON's 3 Free Nail Lacquer in Minger ($14 at Drugstore.com).
- Slate-Tinged Blue: This hue was hot for fall and winter, and it's still happenin' for spring. We love the Gunmetal Nail Polish ($2.80 at Forever21.com). The metallic flair will add just enough edge to your frilly spring duds.
- Lavender: This pastel will never go out of style for spring. Try the Pale Iris Nail Polish ($2.80 at Forever21), for starters. It'll match perfectly with your spring glow!
Which is your favorite?
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more