My wife and I decided to write a letter to our unborn daughter welcoming her into the world. One of the goals of this letter is to provide her some words of wisdom and considerations to use during her journey in life. We'd also like to encourage others to share life lessons and the wisdom that you've gathered -- please do so in the comments section or send to the email address included below.
Dear Sweet Angel,
You are about to arrive in the very near future, which is why I wanted to write you a letter to welcome you to our world, as well as share some insight -- pearls of wisdom that I have learned in my life thus far and am continuing to learn.
First off, thank you for choosing us. We are not worthy of your love and trust, but both your mom and I will make every breath that we breathe about learning and growing as parents, while we build and earn your love and trust over your lifetime.
We can't wait to kiss that little face of yours. Your mom and I didn't know if we would be able to have kids and you are the single greatest joy and embodiment of love that has ever happened to us. Even before we can hold you in our arms, you have made us both better people. Thank you for that.
We feel so blessed. You have our solemn promise that we will do everything possible to challenge you and empower you to live a big, bold and beautiful life. We'll stop at nothing to help you realize and achieve all that you wish to become -- all that you wish to accomplish.
I don't know how to describe it but I have a strong feeling, and even certainty, that you are going to do great things for this world. I don't know what, or when, or how but I have absolute faith that you will change the world for the better. What an amazing journey it will be figuring out what that is. We are giddy with excitement to support you in your journey.
I know you won't be able to read this for a number of years, but I wanted to share a few things that I have learned; I hope you'll consider these observations and see how it sits with you.
Many of these will resonate with you at different times in your life. I encourage you to revisit this from time to time. My intention is to help you on your beautiful journey called life...
1. The only time a person can take your power or respect away is if you give them permission to do so. Realize you always have the power and ability NOT to grant someone this power.
2. Don't worry about hanging out with the "cool kids." Instead, make it your mission in life to surround yourself with great people (friends, colleagues and soul mates). Make sure those people ignite your soul and make you a better person, each and every day. Don't worry, you will make mistakes (everyone does), just don't waste effort or make excuses for people who aren't making you better. If they aren't contributing to your life in some way, or worse, reducing your quality of life, move them out of your circle.
3. Choose and guard your inner circle ferociously. While it may be tough at times, force the bad people off the bus so there is room for the great ones. (There are GREAT ones out there, but there is no room for them to enter your life as long as you're wasting time and energy with the less deserving people.)
4. Everyone is connected to everyone and everything else in this world. We spend much of our life thinking that we are alone but the reality is, we never are. Live your life with an appreciation and respect for this interconnectedness. This is yet another reason to treat people well; in a sense, they are all your brothers and sisters.
5. You are a strong, powerful woman and it is through your sensitivity, love and connection to the world that you will realize your true power.
6. Have gratitude for everything you have; there will always be people who have more and people who have less. Help those with less; acknowledge and reward those with more who choose to help those less fortunate.
7. Be humble, be wise and enjoy the journey of life; realize how you get there is most of the fun.
8. Identify and recognize fear; when possible, relinquish and shed fear of what other people think. Fear and complacency are two of the main reasons people stop looking for their higher purpose and life mission.
9. Align yourself with your Higher Self; do so and you will become the very best you! To do this, you will need to build some quiet time into your life and learn to trust your intuition. The answers on how to do this are all within you and all you need to do is concentrate on how to access this power.
10. Never be scared to love because of the potential of losing that love and the pain associated with that potential loss. Loss is part of the circle of life. It's much easier to keep people at arm's length, but you will not find fulfillment living your life this way. In fact, I almost lost your mom because I was scared to lose someone I loved and I believed I was "safer" alone. Man, was I wrong. Your mom and you are the BEST things that ever happened to me.
11. Seek knowledge and wisdom in every life experience and person you meet (good or bad). Wisdom is the key to a powerful and exciting life, and if you possess true wisdom it provides you the key to continual growth and learning.
12. Good, in the end, always wins over evil. Even though there will be times when this might not seem to be the case and the world will send mixed messages. Always side with good and do the right thing whenever you can, as it is the most virtuous path. I have made mistakes at times in my life, but have always tried to course-correct upon reflection and continue to do so.
13. Focus on what you can truly control in life. One thing you always have control over is you and how you perceive things. Crazy things happen in life; some things that occur are very sad and we waste incredible energy being anxious or nervous about things we have absolutely no control over. Being anxious, nervous or fearful are wasted emotions. If you consistently turn your attention and work inward, focusing on learning and growth to make yourself better throughout your lifetime, things will unravel in the most beautiful of ways and you will become bulletproof.
14. Don't stop seeking your higher purpose, passion or hobby (something you find pure bliss while doing). Finding this could be your life's journey. It usually doesn't happen overnight, but never give up on your dreams and treasure your journey along the way. Ignore those who are unsupportive or who tell you that it can't be done. Realize that you always have the right to change direction in life and seek new experiences no matter how "trapped" you might feel. Never lose that power.
15. Saying you are sorry when you do something wrong doesn't make you weak but it actually makes you strong. Take responsibility for your actions and when you make a mistake, own it. Sincerely apologize and learn from it, then move on. Someone once told me "I expect you to make mistakes (actually a lot of them), however, your goal should be to make each mistake unique."
16. Dream big dreams, live a big courageous life full of laughter, love, learning. With that said, try to live in the present and be sensitive to what is going on around you. Achieving those big dreams requires staying attuned to what the world is presenting you and expressing gratitude for the abundance in your life.
17. There are so many good souls that have something to teach you. Find great mentors and coaches. Always seek advice from those you respect and listen to what they've learned and are willing to share with you. Not every piece of advice will work for you at one moment in time; however, it is always good to consider it. Try that advice on and absorb what works; more often than not, there will be something you can use in your present journey, at that particular time in your life.
I humbly offer you my thoughts and wisdom as I continue to add to and revise this list. I hope that you appreciate the community here and love around you, as you read advice from all the incredible people in our lives. As I've said before, EVERYONE has wisdom within and we truly are all connected.
It is a challenge to live like this but what a wonderful world it will be for you, and everyone around you, if you can take some of these into your soul and live in them.
There are many more things that I will share on your beautiful journey, but I wanted to give you a head-start. I also give this to you so that you will hold us accountable if we aren't embodying these things or helping you to live your best life.
We love you so much and we are very blessed to have you in our lives. We can't wait to experience and share this wonderful life with you.
If you would like to offer your wisdom or life lessons, please send them to my daughter's email address: NYCBabyKnowles@gmail.com