Fresh off his historic perfect game, White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle delivered Monday night's Top 10 List on the "Late Show with David Letterman."
Buehrle read the list, dubbed the "Top Ten Things That Went Through Mark Buehrle's Mind During His Perfect Game," just hours before the Sox lost 4-3 to the Twins in Minneapolis. But the taping didn't go nearly as smoothly as the game that got him there.
Teammates Josh Fields, whose grand slam gave Buehrle a big offensive cushion, and Dewayne Wise, whose acrobatic 9th inning catch saved the perfect game (watch the grab), weren't close to perfect, Buehrle told the Sun-Times.
''I read all 10,'' Buehrle said. ''Wise and Fields were out, and then they came in for one and screwed it up. They screwed up one five-letter sentence. They had to retake it. I got all over them. The one thing they had to do, and they messed it up.
''After we went off, they had us redo it, so I don't think people will get to see them mess it up.''
Buehrle, who turned down an appearance on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien,"
told the Sun-Times he was more nervous about the Letterman spot than he is about pitching.
"I think I was more nervous about going on and doing that all day [Monday] than I am the day I pitch. I'm not into the camera and live TV stuff because I feel like I'll make an ass out of myself. When I do interviews for the newspaper, you guys can at least clean it up. [Live TV] you can't, and people can see how dumb I am and how I can't talk.''
The complete Top 10:
10. I did it! I did it! Oh wait, it's only the fourth inning.
9. If this doesn't get Kate Hudson to notice me, nothing will.
8. Too bad I'm not on my own fantasy team.
7. My brother-in-law bowled a perfect game.
6. (Josh Fields and DeWayne Wise): We're going to Disneyworld!
(Buehrle): And I'm running for governor of Alaska.
5. Did I remember to TiVo "So You Think You Can Dance"?
4. I'm leaving after the 7th inning to beat the traffic.
3. Should I shave my back?
2. Sunflower seed...lodged in my windpipe...get help!
1. Maybe I'll give up one hit so I don't have to appear on Letterman.