Ninety-seven-year-old Clarice Jeffrey was sound asleep in her Bakersfield, Calif. home when fire broke out just after midnight on Wednesday morning.
Local news station TurnTo23.com reports that a local homeless man happened to be passing by when he saw flames begin to overtake the home. Concerned that people may be inside, he approached the door and began knocking loudly. Luckily, his knocks awoke Jeffrey and the homeless man was able to pull her to safety from the burning building. The elderly woman then used her emergency medical alert bracelet to summon the fire department.
Jeffrey and her family members are grateful to the quick-thinking man who sprung into action to save Jeffrey's life. Jeffrey's son-in-law Joe Robinson explains,
"We want to thank (the homeless man). He's a good Samaritan, we appreciate what he did."
Unfortunately, Jeffrey's home of 55 years didn't survive the blaze unscathed -- the fire caused estimated $80,000 worth of damage to the structure.