For the second time in less than a week, an Apple iPhone 4 has reportedly exploded, this time in Brazil, according to Mashable.
The phone, which was plugged in for an overnight charge, suddenly began sparking and emitting smoke while it was just inches from its owner's face.
The owner, Brazilian Ayla Paulo Mota told the Portuguese language blog TechTudo that he was not hurt during the incident, despite his close proximity to the phone.
Editors at The Huffington Post U.K. translated Mota's comments into English:
"At dawn, I woke up seconds before witnessing the burning of my iPhone when I saw a lot of sparks and black smoke out of the cell. My room was full with an unbearable smell of smoke! At that moment, I turned off the power switch in the room to remove the phone from the outlet."
Last week, a similar incident occurred aboard a regional Australian airliner shortly before landing in Sydney. Officials from the airline company Regional Express described the incident as a "mobile phone self combustion" in which an iPhone began to glow red and emit a "significant amount of dense smoke."
Mashable also writes that in 2009 a French teenager claimed to have been hit in the eye with a glass splinter from an exploding iPhone. CBS News reported on the incident in a video which can be seen below.
Responding to the Australian incident, Apple spokeswoman Natalie Harrison told the the Associated Press that her company was looking forward to "working with the officials investigating this incident."
Apple has yet to issue a response to the latest incident.