In our new series, Beauty At Every Age, we take a close look at the best skincare approaches for women in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. Whether your goal is to prevent fine lines or repair past damage, each age group has its own unique issues.This week, we're focusing on the 30s.
Dermatologist Dr. Jeannette Graf offers expert tips on how to maintain healthy, gorgeous skin in your 30s like actress Zoe Saldana.
Now that you're in your 30s, it's time to get serious about taking better care of your skin. Forget about taboos like tanning or social smoking if you want to tackle the early signs of aging that spring up.
"The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area become evident and uneven," according to Dr. Jeannette Graf, dermatologist and author of Stop Aging, Start Living. "Lighter skin tone with increased sun exposure will show signs of aging earlier, while during the later part of the decade there may be an increase in the depth of the smile lines."
Juggling career, family and friends, women in their 30s often skip or incorrectly perform the most important step in skin care: cleansing.
Dr. Graf adds, "The key to cleansing is to use a pH balanced cleanser which maintains the integrity of the delicate moisture barrier of the skin."
Click through the slideshow below for Dr. Graf's skin care product recommendations, and keep reading below for her advice on taking care of skin in your 30s.
1. Cleanse skin each morning and make sure to remove makeup and cleanse again before bedtime. This allows skin to perform its essential protective and renewal functions.
2. Exfoliate at night rather than the daytime. Overnight skin is in renewal mode and removing dead skin skin prior to bedtime enhances the skin's function. Exfoliation should be gentle -- never harsh. The point of exfoliation is to remove dead skin which normally falls off by the action of enzymes within the skin. These enzymes require hydration in order to work and dry skin doesn't have enough moisture to work.
3. Protect skin during the daytime by combining an antioxidant serum or cream with sunblock as they enhance each other.
4. Wear broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection every single day of the year, including overcast winter days. UVA rays are "stealth agers" which remain constant throughout the year.
5. Make sure that body skin is well moisturized. Showers should be less than five minutes and water temperature lukewarm. Using a moisturizing body wash is important as well to preserve the protective moisture barrier of skin.
6. Slather on rich body cream twice daily for healthy, hydrated skin.
7. Drink plenty of water to also stay hydrated internally. Add lemon or lime juice for an extra boost. And, eat a healthy, colorful high-fiber diet that increases internal alkalinity such as a Mediterranean-style diet.
Meanwhile, find out how to keep the healthy, glowy skin of your 20s for years to come.