As police continue their investigation into a brutal rape that left an 18-year-old girl in a coma outside a Logan Square theater on New Year's Eve, community members and victim advocates gathered near the theater Monday night to speak out against the heinous crime.
The teen, who lives in suburban Highland Park, Ill., was reportedly turned away from the Congress Theater on Dec. 31 because she did not have a photo ID, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. She was hoping to see British dubstep producer/DJ Rusko play at the Chicago venue.
The girl was later found unconscious, bleeding and partially clothed on a lawn near the theater in the 2100 block of North Rockwell Street. The girl's father told the Chicago Tribune that she is now recovering and "doing well," but her attackers remain on the loose.
Chicago's Rape Victim Advocates joined the Alliance of Local Service Organizations and community members for a Monday protest outside the Congress Theater, 2135 N. Milwaukee Ave., "to bring together our community in the aftermath" of the attack.
Logan Square resident Kate Sobotka told ABC Chicago she joined the rally to "show people who committed this crime that it's not OK and we won't stand for it in our neighborhood."
Last week, police told the Tribune that up to eight people were involved in the attack, and authorities were examining DNA evidence in the state crime lab.
"They are animals, they are cowards, they are evil people who did an evil thing to that woman," Alderman Joe Moreno (1st) said of the attackers at the Monday night rally, according to ABC Chicago.
Anyone with information about the attack should call Harrison Area detectives at (312) 746-8252. For more information about the Monday protest, call Rape Victim Advocates at (312) 443-9603.
BEFORE YOU GO
View more videos at: http://nbcchicago.com.