Pretty meets practical with this Craft Of The Day. An ordinary corkboard (the kind you can get at the dollar store) gets a stand-out makeover, making it the perfect place for hanging notes and photos. Keep reading for the how-to.
Photo by Michele McDonald of The Scrap Shoppe Blog
What You’ll Need:
Fabrics in fun patterns
Lace and ribbons to decorate
Scrap book paper
Picture hanging strips
How To Do It:
1. Choose a fun fabric you want to use to cover the frame around your corkboard and cut it into four strips, one for each side.
2. Use Mod Podge to adhere the fabric along the frame, folding each strip in at the edge to create a neat corner.
3. Choose another piece of fabric in a complementary pattern to cover the cork part of the board. "Mod Podge" it in place.
4. Add a pretty rolled paper border to hide rough fabric edges where the fabrics from the frame and the board meet. To do this, take a piece scrapbook paper and tape one edge to a dowel rod. Roll it up along the dowel rod and secure with a rubber band. Let it stay that way overnight so that it will keep its shape. Don't want to go through the trouble? You can also use ribbon to create a border instead.
5. To add some extra fun details to your freshly covered corkboard, consider gluing ribbons or lace in a criss-cross pattern across the board.
6. Stick on adhesive picture hanging hooks to the back of the board.
For a full tutorial, visit The Scrap Shoppe Blog. And, be sure to check out the other great crafts in our Craft Of The Day slideshow below.