05/11/2012 05:08 pm ET Updated May 14, 2012

Kendrec McDade Autopsy Revealed 7 Gun Shot Wounds, 3 Fatally Slicing Arteries (PHOTOS)

An autopsy conducted on Kendrec McDade, the 19-year-old who was fatally shot by Pasadena police in March, revealed that he received seven gun shot wounds.

None of the bullets struck him in the back, and three shots were fatal because they sliced through arteries in his lower abdomen and upper right arm, the Republic reports.


After the autopsy had been kept sealed from the public, the president of the Pasadena branch of the NAACP said that the release of the autopsy results, although not complete, put to rest concerns about police transparency, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports.

However, the McDade family's attorney, Caree Harper, said the news came too late. "They always have to be forced to give up information," she said. "It's their clear pattern and practice - don't release information until their back is against the wall."
In fact, the full details of the autopsy are not expected to be released until next week, the Los Angeles Times reports.

McDade was shot by police officers who were responding to a 911 call reporting that McDade and another teen had robbed the caller at gunpoint. However, the caller, Oscar Carrillo-Gonzalez, later admitted to lying by saying that McDade had a gun so that police would respond more quickly. In fact, McDade was unarmed.

McDade's family believes racial profiling was involved and has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit and a claim against the city of Pasadena and five officers.

The two officers involved, Jeffery Newlen and Mathew Griffin, have been placed on paid leave pending four investigations, including one by the FBI.

The 17-year-old who accompanied McDade has pleaded guilty to one count of grand theft and to a misdemeanor count of failing to register as a gang member.

UPDATE: At a news conference Saturday, Harper said that McDade's parents are concerned that the autopsy indicates one bullet entered their son's back, contracting the police assertion that none of the shots hit his back, the Times reports.

In a federal lawsuit, the teen's parents allege that the police are trying to cover up wrongdoing and that McDade, after being shot seven times, was left on the street for a prolonged period of time without receiving first aid.

Click through photos of Kendrec McDade and friends and family mourning his death:

Mourning Kendrec Mcdade