"The Expendables 2" doesn't come out until Aug. 17, but that hasn't prevented producer Avi Lerner from speculating about "The Expendables 3." In a new interview with Total Film, Lerner says that anyone who doesn't appear in "The Expendables 2" will likely be sought for the next entry in the franchise.
“We’ve approached Clint Eastwood to be one of the guys, we’ve got a character in mind for him," Lerner said. "We’re talking to Harrison Ford. [And we want] Wesley Snipes when he comes back from prison. I’ll give you one more name, we’ve got Nicolas Cage to play [one of the characters]."
If that sounds familiar, it's because you remember that Cage was rumored to be involved in "The Expendables 2." Moviehole.net reported Cage's involvement, along with Christopher Lambert, Taylor Lautner and Christian Slater. Unfortunately, none of those actors actually wound up appearing.
“I haven’t really pursued that,” Cage said last year when presented with the "Expendables" rumors. “I don’t know much about it except what I read on the internet. Sylvester Stallone is somebody that I like and he’s always been very friendly to me over the years so I would consider it but I haven’t had any formal discussions about it.”
As for Eastwood and Ford, it's unlikely that either would appear. Eastwood is all but retired, having only starred in "Gran Torino" and the upcoming "Trouble with the Curve" during the last five years.
"The Expendables 2" stars Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Stathm, Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Terry Crews, Randy Couture and Liam Hemsworth. For more on the film, check out HuffPost Entertainment's chat with Lundgren.
For more on "The Expendables 3," including which "Expendables" star could return for the film, head over to Total Film.