It looks like Frank Ocean didn't make the final cut on the "Django Unchained" soundtrack. The full list of songs on the album was revealed late Wednesday by The Weinstein Company and Loma Vista Recordings, and Ocean's name is nowhere to be found. That's odd, since -- as reported in GQ -- the singer reportedly did write something for the "Django Unchained" soundtrack; whether that song appears in the film and not on the record remains to be seen.
While Ocean isn't mentioned in the press release announcing the soundtrack, Rick Ross and John Legend are, and each contributed new songs to the film. Ross' track, called "100 Black Coffins," was produced by Jaime Foxx and can be heard in the new "Django Unchained" trailer. (Watch that explosive clip above.)
"I want to thank all the artists who contributed original songs (a first for me) to the picture. Most of these contributions came out of the artists' own inspiration and their illustration of the film's soul is invaluable," Quentin Tarantino said in the press release.
"I ran into Rick Ross [and] I said, 'Rick, you should come by the set because I know Quentin doesn't do original stuff, but it wouldn't hurt for you to come and just feel it because 'Django' is hip-hop. This is a different thing,'" Foxx told About.com. "So Rick Ross shows up, huge fan of Quentin, and I said, 'Rick, if you're going to write a song, I think you should say these words: I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men, dig 100 black graves so I can lay they ass in. 100 black coffins.' So that would be my contribution. Now what he does with it, I don't know. But if he does what I think, it's going be, it'll be great."
"Django Unchained" is one of the last Oscar favorites to screen this year -- there are rumored screenings for press and Academy members in the offing -- but audiences won't have to wait too long to see the finished product. Tarantino's film is due in theaters on Dec. 25.
Watch the trailer above. Check out the soundtrack listing below.
2. DJANGO (MAIN THEME) - LUIS BACALOV, ROCKY ROBERTS
3. THE BRAYING MULE - ENNIO MORRICONE
4. IN THAT CASE, DJANGO, AFTER YOU...
5. LO CHIAMAVANO KING (HIS NAME IS KING) - LUIS BACALOV, EDDA DELL'ORSO
6. FREEDOM - ANTHONY HAMILTON & ELAYNA BOYNTON
7. FIVE-THOUSAND-DOLLAR NIGGA'S AND GUMMY MOUTH BITCHES
8. LA CORSA (2ND VERSION) - LUIS BACALOV
9. SNEAKY SCHULTZ AND THE DEMISE OF SHARP
10. I GOT A NAME - JIM CROCE
11. I GIORNI DELL'IRA - RIZ ORTOLANI
12. 100 BLACK COFFINS - RICK ROSS
13. NICARAGUA - JERRY GOLDSMITH FEATURING PAT METHENY
14. HILDI'S HOT BOX
15. SISTER SARA'S THEME - ENNIO MORRICONE
16. ANCORA QUI - ENNIO MORRICONE AND ELISA
17. UNCHAINED (THE PAYBACK/UNTOUCHABLE) - JAMES BROWN AND 2PAC
18. WHO DID THAT TO YOU? - JOHN LEGEND
19. TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG - BROTHER DEGE
20. STEPHEN THE POKER PLAYER
21. UN MONUMENTO - ENNIO MORRICONE
22. SIX SHOTS TWO GUNS
23. TRINITY (TITOLI) - ANNIBALE E I CANTORI MODERNI