In an era of Nikki Finke and Deadline.com, it's hard to imagine any deal in Hollywood staying secret for too long. Which is why the news that Disney had acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion and was planning a new "Star Wars" trilogy blindsided nearly everyone with an internet connection and a soft spot for Chewbacca. As Disney studio chief Alan Horn told Kyle Buchanan at Vulture on Thursday night, the secrecy surrounding "Episode VII" was no accident.
"I think everybody was mature about it," Horn said. "It's important to keep these things confidential, so people just kept their mouths shut. Not many [people knew about it]. It was a very small group. Probably a smaller group than knew about the attack on [Osama] bin Laden!"
Disney announced its acquisition of Lucasfilm on Oct. 30, just about five months to the day that Horn took over as studio chief. The position was previously held by Rich Ross, who left the post after the box office failure of "John Carter." Horn was previously at Warner Bros. where he spearheaded the "Harry Potter" franchise and "The Dark Knight."
For more on Horn and what he thinks of those rumors that Matthew Vaughn may direct "Star Wars: Episode VII," head over to Vulture.