Guillermo del Toro is not directing "Star Wars: Episode VII," though he was asked about the film. That's the word from Del Toro himself, who told The Playlist that Disney and LucasFilm contacted him about the open position.
"We got one phone call to my agent saying, 'Is Guillermo interested?'" Del Toro said. "And basically I have so much stuff already of my own, and I'm pursuing stuff that I'm generating already [that I turned it down]."
If those comments sound familiar, it's because Del Toro made similar statements to Fanhattan late last year.
"I heard some rumblings," Del Toro said about "Star Wars." "I have so many projects to discuss or think about. [For] something that is not a possibility yet, I don’t [speculate]. You know, because I have so many things that I need to catch up with. If this ever becomes a reality, and there’s an approach to do it, I would then think about it, but -- it’s like thinking if I want to date a supermodel. I don’t think about these things."
Right now, the "Star Wars: Episode VII" director's chair is still open. "X-Men: First Class" director Matthew Vaughn was rumored to be the front-runner for the job, but he hasn't been hired in any official capacity just yet. One person definitely hired, however, is Michael Arndt. The "Little Miss Sunshine" screenwriter has been hired to work on the "Episode VII" script.
Del Toro is directing "Pacific Rim," which arrives in theaters on July 11.
For more on Del Toro, including who he wants to see direct "Episode VII," head over to The Playlist.
[via Indiewire/The Playlist]