After the 2013 Chicago Marathon stumbled out of the starting block with its online registration meltdown Tuesday, the race announced via Facebook it will suspend registration until Feb. 28.
In a statement issued Thursday via Facebook, officials thanked frustrated participants for their patience amid their tech snafu, writing:
"Our team is working around the clock to determine a timely, fair, and effective registration solution to fill the remaining 15,000 entries without further technical complications.
At 3 p.m. CST on Thursday, February 28, we will announce an equitable plan for how and when we will reopen registration."
Almost immediately after registration went live at noon Tuesday, social media filled with complaints from angry runners receiving error messages or being shut out of the site completely. Marathon officials blamed the site crash on the race's registration service provider, Active.com.
"Registration for the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon has been temporarily suspended due to system-wide technical issues on the part of our registration provider Active.com."
Active.com is not only responsible for the race's registration, it also powers the donations pages for all of the race's participating charities as well.
Some 25,000 people were able to register on Tuesday for the Oct. 13 race, which marathon organizers said leaves about 15,000 spots for when registration ultimately resumes. NBC Chicago said 45,000 participants will be allowed in the race (a portion of race entries are blocked off for charity runners as well).
Runners World reported problems persisted even for runners who were able to successfully register Tuesday -- many wound up getting double billed though the marathon said "99.9%" of duplicate entries have received refunds from Active.
Last year, registration filled to capacity in a record six days. The Sun-Times speculated that record "would have undoubtedly been shattered if not for the complications."
For additional updates, check the Chicago Marathon's Facebook page.